cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disconnecting Battery When Plugged in for long periods

Duramax1
Explorer
Explorer
When staying plugged in at RV parks in desert warm temperatures for prolonged periods of time I usually disconnect the battery as I don't like to see it being charged at 13.50 volts or so for long periods of time during intense heat.

The 12 volt system components continue to receive their dc energy requirements from the converter.

Is there any problem with the habit I have developed?
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DA LTZ
2009 Sundance 2900MK
26 REPLIES 26

Junior30
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my factory charger with the progressive dynamics charger and am very happy. Its nice to not have to worry about the batteries as much. Previous charger was boiling batteries. Id say it may be worth the $200 to install a better charger and not have to worry about disconnecting the batteries. Once the batteries are charged it maintains them at 13.2V.
2015 Thor Four Winds

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A lot depends on your converter.. Magnetek 6300 by all means unplug

Progressive Dynamics wizard controlled models... I never disconnect.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I too disconnect my batteries from the WFCO distribution panel when not using them and on shore power. It's a simple disconnect switch. If we leave for any lengthy time, and the power is unreliable, it's easy enough to switch them back in when locking up.

The solar system is always connected and keeps the batteries at 13.1V during the day after a brief pulse to 14.8V in the morning (when they are not being used much).
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you are loosing much water, its charging too hi. In extremely hot temps, 13.5 is too hi. Personally, in extreme hi temps, (over 100) I'd use a temp regulated maintainer like the "battery tender"
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
What you're doing is not going to hurt anything; although as mentioned you risk problems if you're not there and power goes off for extended periods of time.

If you are leaving battery disconnected for long periods, make sure it isn't loosing too much charge.

I would agree that a smart charger would be better; but 13.5 would not cause problems if your are carefull about checking the battery water.

Doug

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
Duramax1 wrote:

If park power drops out and you're not there at the time your rig will be dead. If you leave the battery connected and shore power fails the trailer will automatically switch to battery power ... could make the difference between coming back to a fridge that's continuing to run normally (on gas and battery power to run the circuit board) OR quit running entirely and possibly losing all the contents of the fridge if you're gone long enough. Personally I leave the battery connected.

As long as you have a 3 stage smart charger, the above would be my response. If you do not have a smart charger, I would do what you do, but a smart charger would go to the top of my Christmas list.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My batteries have remained connected for 11years.
No problem at all.
Systems are designed to have the batteries connected at all times.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Duramax1 wrote:
No

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Personally I leave the battery connected.

Me too.

13.5 is really not that high for a wet-cell if you keep an eye on the water level. An AGM will be perfectly happy with that float voltage with no degradation whatsoever.

Of course, it depends partly on what exactly you consider a "long time" and how high the temperature actually is.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
The battery also serves as a DC filter for your system. Should the DC from the converter have any ripple at all the battery will filter the ripple out making your DC pure. Also any spike from the converter that might harm any DC components in your rig will be filtered out saving $$$$$. I always leave my battery in the circuit.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Duramax1 wrote:

If park power drops out and you're not there at the time your rig will be dead. If you leave the battery connected and shore power fails the trailer will automatically switch to battery power ... could make the difference between coming back to a fridge that's continuing to run normally (on gas and battery power to run the circuit board) OR quit running entirely and possibly losing all the contents of the fridge if you're gone long enough. Personally I leave the battery connected.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is what I would do or at least keep checking the battery for fluid boiling out.

Of course the best you can do is replace your older converter/charger with a SMART MODE charger like the PD-9200 series is. Then you won't have to worry about the battery anymore... You most likely will only have to replace the charger module and hopefully can keep your same 120VAC and 12VDC Distribution Panel. Just replace the module in the bottom compartment.

Call Randy at BESTCONVERTERS...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS