cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge not working...again

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
We had problems with our dometic fridge and the pilot getting blown out while driving. Our dealer fixed it under warranty (it's still only 8 months old and has never worked properly.) It wasn't cooling properly and they fixed that as well saying there was some insulation in the wrong place. We took it out camping for the first time since the fix and it didn't work. Running on LP, haven't checked 110 since the repair. After one day the fridge was 68 degrees inside. It was in the 20's overnight and highs in the low 50's. The dealer told us not to run the fridge on the coldest setting because it would freeze up and stop working. We tried the 1st (warmest) and 2nd setting to no avail. We were PERFECTLY level just to make sure that wouldn't be an issue. Is this normal? Do we have a lemon? Should I be taking a brand new fridge back the dealer for a 4th time in 8 months or ask for a replacement?
15 REPLIES 15

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
thanks. i'll be contacting them then. thanks again for all the help everyone.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
adambeck7 wrote:
old-biscuit - pretty sure it's the DM2862RB

doug - thanks for all that.

since it's a new fridge do i need to take it back to the dealer where we bought the truck camper or could i go anywhere that does dometic warranty work? getting a little frustrated driving 40 min each way for work that doesn't fix the problem. i don't want to do too much myself for fear of the dealer then saying that i caused the problem. thanks for the help everyone.

First off...........

EVERYTHING DOUG posted is right on the mark!!!!!!
He has over 35 yrs. RV TECH SERVICE
YOUR Dometic fridge cooling unit has been damaged due to the insulation falling down and blocking draft air flow. That has resulted in overheating of cooling unit (as evidenced by high food compartment temps) Overheating cases crystals to form, plate out on inside of tubing causing blockage which cause more overheating more crystals more blockage ......damage is accumulative and permanent.

You need to contact MFG. Representative, Dometic Representative and fight your case for replacement. You will never get satisfactory results with that current fridge.

HERE is Installation Manual.

Print it out so you have a copy to use in your discussions.
Dometic provides the instructions to RV mfg.
RV MFG. are suppose to follow those instructions.....not doing so results in poor fridge cooling. RV mfg. causes....NOT Dometic Fridge

Get ALL parties involved with you ...........!!!!

Good luck. Get that damaged fridge replaced.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Was the fire burning all the time it was not cooling properly, you didn't say.
And you're just thinking that the dealer didn't do the insulation correctly ?

Isn't it possible that the dealer fixed what they obviously seen was a problem, and that if you took it back, they would now know the cooling system is the problem, and replace the fridge ? But if you have a closer authorized warranty station, do it.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The admin for this forum deleted the part of my thread that called your dealer/TECH a derogatory name. I stand by what I stated. DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT DEALER. They are not qualified to fix your problem. The problem you have is simple but the fix and who pays will be complicated. From your post, the OEM (NOT Dometic) did not install the refer and cabinet to specs(insulation not secured). So, Dometic will probably pay for a new cooling unit, but the modifications to the cabinet and insulation and adding a 12 volt fan will go back to the OEM maker of your Camper. Dometic is not responsible for anything other than the actual refer. You need to contac the OEM maker of your camper and ask if they will pay for another shop to fix your refer correctly. Doug

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would find a Dometic dealer and have them troubleshoot it since the RV dealer can't fix it.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
old-biscuit - pretty sure it's the DM2862RB

nova rt - we will be from now on. each time it has ruined a fridge of food it had been recently "fixed".

doug - thanks for all that.

since it's a new fridge do i need to take it back to the dealer where we bought the truck camper or could i go anywhere that does dometic warranty work? getting a little frustrated driving 40 min each way for work that doesn't fix the problem. i don't want to do too much myself for fear of the dealer then saying that i caused the problem. thanks for the help everyone.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you may need to remove the top vent and securely fasten the insulation. My Dometic works fine but the problem I have is remembering to have my pants, wallet and keys ready in case I wake up to a fire. It's also a pita to keep tripping over all these fire extinguishers I keep on hand. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have looked at residentials just in case. Is it crazy to to even have an appliance that lets you fall asleep wondering if it's going to burn tonight!!!!! I have even wondered how I would repair black scorch marks on the filon IF I was lucky enough to extinguish it in time. Insanity?????

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. To tell a customer NOT to utilize the Refer MAX setting because it will freeze is just plain WRONG. NOT TRUE
2. IF anything blocks the upper coils on your outside top access door, that means the refer will NOT cool correctly. So, if the insulation has fallen, that means the refer will not cool correctly
3. As to what you state about your freezer. There is a difference between freezing and what an RV freezer will do----the RV freezer should be between 0(ZERO) and 10 degrees. Unless you get a digital temp reading you cannot be sure the freezer is working to spec.
4. In a slide out, ALL refers need a 12 volt exhaust fan blowing out the top access door. NO EXCEPTIONS. Failure to do that will never get adequate cooling---Marginal cooling, but never to spec.
5. IF that insulation has been on those top coils, I will bet the cooling unit is ruined due to overheating. It will work marginally but has lost its peak efficiency. The cooling unit needs replaced and the insulation needs to be correctly secured.
6. Temps for your refer is tested with a glass of water and after 24 hours on MAX the temp of the water should be below 35 degrees and the freezer temp below 10 degrees. If NOT, then the cooling unit is defective due to the lack of ventilation caused by being blocked OFF.
Doug

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I'm frustrated that we have lost 3 refrigerators worth of food to these issues too.

Might want to take a large ice-filled cooler along until you're sure the fridge problems are resolved.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which Dometic Model?

Obviously the fridge is NOT properly installed. Insulation falling down 1X is 1X too many.

If insulation is falling down then I bet that the clearances required by Dometic on install have not been followed either.

And it being installed in a slide makes it even more critical that installation instructions be followed
Also may need to have a fan installed to help improve the lack of draft that happens w/o a roof vent.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm also wondering if these issues are permanently solvable or every trip that I take will I have to take the vents off to move insulation or fix the fridge in some regard? I'm frustrated that we have lost 3 refrigerators worth of food to these issues too.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
long story but the truck broke down this weekend and the camper is stuck out the mountains so no pics til later this week when the truck is fixed. the insulation was over the coils, which is what the dealer said they fixed last time. i'm wondering if it fell back over the coils. however, if it did i only drove a total of 30 miles which would be a bummer if it's going to keep happening.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Open the cover and get some pics of the coils and the chimney if you can.
The heater/burner needs to work but you also need good airflow to cool the rest of the coils. Air is pulled through with convection and needs to be drawn over the coils not just up the open space.

I had to add a baffle to redirect the airflow in my old pop-up. Very similar with a short chimney.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
I had never used an RV fridge prior to this, no. I know they're not going to function as well as a residential fridge. I stocked it with cold food after letting it cool down on 110. When it got up to 68 it had been closed for 24 straight hours running on propane.

It's an Eagle Cap 960. Yes the fridge is in the wall slide. Vents out the side. I feel like Eagle Cap did a **** job installing so that would make sense. We almost exclusively boondock down awfully bumpy forest service roads and 4WD trails. I'm wondering if the insulation slipped back out of place. Is it unrealistic to think that everything will stay in place and the fridge will work in these conditions?

Thanks for the link, I'll read up.

***Edit to add: the freezer has worked fine, almost every time if not every time. I can't remember it ever failing even when the fridge did but I didn't check this last time.