cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Fridge Quit Working

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
I have a dometic freedom refrigerator in my motorhome. Worked fine all last year. Worked fine for a month or so this year. We were away from the camper for 2 weeks. When we returned, the fridge was warm and all the food was ruined. The coils in the back were not getting hot like they were supposed to.

There was a windstorm that passed through with some lightning. I don't know if this had anything to do with it?

The light on the front panel is still lit. I popped the fuse panel off the back, the 2 fuses are good. Getting 110v to a few places on the board. The 12v input only reads 5.9v. I don't know if that makes a difference. The camper is plugged in to 120v all the time.

I've never leveled the camper, as it seems to be level enough on its own. I checked the bubble level on the side and it says about 2.5 degrees off. (not even sure if the level is correct, its an old motorhome)

Was the 2.5 degrees enough to slowly ruin the cooler? It worked fine for over a month like this, and all of last year. There is no ammonia smell (at least I didn't notice it over the smell of rancid meat) and I didn't see any evidence of a leak.

Unfortunatly I have no money to fix this with a new RV fridge. So, either I replace it with a standard 120v fridge, or I have an OLD dometic from the 70's I can get for free (not sure if it works)

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

16 REPLIES 16

JESCOSALES
Explorer
Explorer
12 volts also runs the 2 fans on the outside, check that both are running. you can hear them when you stand by the vent, but have to look to see if both are running.

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
Already getting cold. Thanks guys!

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you found it......;)
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
I think i figured it out. There was a small black wire disconnected near the main 12v wires that had 12.5v going to it. I connected it to the 12v+ lead on the main input, and i heard something click, and there is now 12.5v running through the fridge. Hopefully by tomorrow the fridge will be cold!

Wheel_Estate
Explorer
Explorer
you need 12 v on propane mode as well
Rick & MaryAnn
drive a Phaeton with
SMI brake stopping a Jeep toad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the propane tank and see if it works on gas -- if it does then chances are the electric heating element needs replacing (continuity test may be in order). If the fridge doesn't work on propane then you might need a new circuit board - call around and see if local RV shop can test board.
Kevin

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
Check the coils for ammonia smell or yellow residue. If present then the coils are shot. I left mine on all the time thinking it would be nice to arrive and have the fridge cold and basics in the fridge. $1500 later I don't do that anymore
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
My tank is empty

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried it on propane?
Kevin

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Cuffs054 wrote:
Dog, I given that idea allot of thought. My Dometic is mounted over the shore line connection box but there is about 12 inches above it. What type of refig did you use?

Our refrigerator is off the floor on top of our breaker box. The opening, with all trim removed was 24" wide by about 54 inches high and 26 inches deep. 24" wide was good as that was the width of our main door. Keep in mind how you are going to get the new unit inside.

We wanted a 3/4 size apartment Frigidaire but found an off brand named Haier at Lowes. It was only slightly different in dimensions but fit better. We met the makers required clearances on the sides and rear.

My advice? Measure the opening very carefully. Height, width and Depth. Take a tape measure and go shopping. Make sure when measuring the height to include the hinge. Also, I learned here that you should buy a unit that has the coils exposed in the rear. They will do a lot better in the enclosed area.

Another plus for the change was the price. Only about $500.00 instead of $1200.00.

So far no regrets and we are enjoying the much larger unit. Never could fit a watermelon in the old one. Now watermelon is a mandatory item. LOL

Free delivery and installation from Lowes. As the two guys stood inside our camper and were ready to lift it in place one said:"Did you measure the opening?"

If he only knew that I had spent hours measuring. Of course it fit, but it "just fit." So tight that I did not have to put the trim strips back on.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Dog, I given that idea allot of thought. My Dometic is mounted over the shore line connection box but there is about 12 inches above it. What type of refig did you use?

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
When our Dometic quit this spring, my wife noted that I was not even mad. I was happy and relived to get rid of that potential fire hazard.

As we never boon dock, and don't need propane capabilities, we upgraded to a an residential refrigerator. Much more cold space inside, yet it occupies the same space in the camper and it self defrosts.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
12 volts run the circuit board. Circuit board controls the frig. Yes, you need 12 volts to the frig.

Adam_F
Explorer
Explorer
Circuit breakers are all OK, not tripped. I'll check the converter. All my interior lighting was still nice and bright, so I'm assuming the converter is OK. What else could it be?

Could I hook up an external power supply, 10 amp, directly to the back of the fridge and see if it starts to work?

So, even on 120v, the fridge still needs 12v to operate?