cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic RM2611 freezer cold / fridge warm

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
1995 Class C, maybe original fridge. Has worked well but out in the heat and now the fridge won't get cold. Freezer cold.

Found this thread
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23866404.cfm

OK, I unplugged the thermistor while unit on gas. When I unplug, I hear a thunk and replug hear another. Presumably the gas valve. So does this mean the thermistor is good?

I am running the generator now for AC test as directed in the trhead but it seems like the test above implies the thermistor is good.

Any tips appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
It will be an intermittent short- shorted thermistor "reads" cold, open thermistor "reads" hot. That's much more common on Norcold thermistors, but Dometic has changed the design to a more robust one.
-- Chris Bryant

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
I got home and continued the test on AC:

1. Thermistor unplugged, wait 24 hrs: fridge is cold
2. Thermistor plugged in, wait 24 hrs: fridge warms up
3. Left it plugged in and on, another 24 hrs: fridge is cold

Could the thermistor be intermittent? I should be getting a new one within the next couple days.

Thank you.

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sorry but unplugging the leads of thermistor (temp sensing device in food compartment on far right fin) will cause fridge to run/cool continuously----failure mode from lack of temp sensing.

Freezer section 'cold' and food compartment NOT COLD......blockage between freezer evap coil and food compartment evap coil.
Cooling unit is DEAD. NO Good...will NOT cool

It's a TEST suggested in the post that I cited. A TEST is not continuous operation.

UPDATE: Running overnight on GAS with the thermistor unplugged... the fridge is getting cold.

This implies the thermistor may be bad. I will check resistance when I get home.

Has anyone replaced the thermistor? Can't find any info on this.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
WesternHorizon wrote:
1995 Class C, maybe original fridge. Has worked well but out in the heat and now the fridge won't get cold. Freezer cold.

Found this thread
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23866404.cfm

OK, I unplugged the thermistor while unit on gas. When I unplug, I hear a thunk and replug hear another. Presumably the gas valve. So does this mean the thermistor is good?

I am running the generator now for AC test as directed in the trhead but it seems like the test above implies the thermistor is good.

Any tips appreciated!

Unplugging the thermistor tells the refrigerator it is too hot, so if you hear a clunk when you unplug it, but it is not cold, the thermistor is bad, otherwise there would be no difference.

Try running it for 24 hours with the thermistor unplugged.
-- Chris Bryant

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The freezer has to get down to less than 10 F so the refer section will get below 40F. When it gets hot outside you need more air flow over the rear coils...put a fan in the outside vent blowing in to get rid of the excessive heat.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry but unplugging the leads of thermistor (temp sensing device in food compartment on far right fin) will cause fridge to run/cool continuously----failure mode from lack of temp sensing.

Freezer section 'cold' and food compartment NOT COLD......blockage between freezer evap coil and food compartment evap coil.
Cooling unit is DEAD. NO Good...will NOT cool
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31