cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond over uncured Dicor lap sealant

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
I put Dicor self leveling sealant over the rear roof joint and all screw heads that runs across back of my Nash 22H trailer. It cured for about 2 1/2 hours or so while I worked elsewhere. I couldn't leave well enough alone, was real worried about weather I had fixed the roof leak, and next thing I knew I was pressing eternabond tape across the seam and that lap sealant had only skinned over. It was very gushy.
I know I have done this procedure incorrectly. My question is, what will happen? HAS anyone ever done this and will ithe Dicor set up so it can do its job if water happens to get past eternabond tape some day? FAQ on Dicor website says waterproof in 4 hours but takes days to fully cure at 70 degrees. No question it was uncured as I covered it with eternabond. I appreciate your advice.
17 REPLIES 17

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my camper, PO had brunch splitting the front cap and he slapped eternabond over it.
The tape did NOT seal the cracks and when I bought the camper, I had to do extensive dryrot repairs, regardless aluminium frame.
Additionally the black glue left ugly discoloration what took lot of washing and 2 years of bleaching by CA sun to become white again.
Dicor is good sealer and some members also recommend marine sealants for such job.
Tape will be always high risk.

Dicor
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, pickjare -- if it would be at all helpful to you, please feel free to contact Dicor customer service. We may be able to provide some advice for your situation. Our number is 574-264-2699 and you can ask for Kathy. She is very knowledgeable about our products and hopefully can get you the answers you need.

Safe and happy travels!
Dicor Corporation

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the area uncovered so the polymer can cure fully at it's typical rate. If anything, if it rains, it will speed the cure rate.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Just leave it and inspect next year.

I agree.

It will dry. It sounds like you have the eternabond doing most of the work anyway.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
It does cure faster when hot, but covering it probably won't achieve anything.

Yes, it needs air to interact with sealant and fumes need to evaporate. Shortly after it's skinned, you might notice unsightly bubbles here and there, forming up and bursting, like a pancake on a hot pan.

Not all the sealants are created equal. When I used Geocel roof sealant, there was no bubbles at all, and it skinned and cured faster.

MrWizard
a tube of Dicor once it has been opened, and closed will slowly cure over a period of months

if left un-used it will eventuality cure solid

your choice, pull it off throw away the EB and let the dicor cure normal

or leave it alone

covering it to warm might not make any difference, in curing,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. I should mention the tape is in pure contact with the roof membrane on one edge, the metal siding on the other, each with about 1/2" contact along the edge. If it was just stuck to uncured eternabond I would have removed it.
I'm thinking about making a natural oven by laying black across the edge. Black what though, I have some plastic tarp, some floor mats, maybe I'll lay both across the seam tomorrow and see if temperature increase will speed up drying.
So I'm the first to make this mistake it appears. I've done a search and no one else asked this.
The problem with removing it is I have done such a good job on the side where eternabond ends and the sides are curing. It's parked indoors until tomorrow morning.
Any ideas on the oven idea to really get some heat to it. Here in Idaho its 60 day, 30 nights for next couple weeks .
Some sealants cure funny, they need air at first to evaporate some chemicals and that's when they skin over and the remaining stuff has no access to air and they still cure. I was really hoping Dicor was this way and someone had actually done this. But no one thinks more harm than good so far, so I'll leave it for now and razor cut the ends if I'm forced to remove it. Thanks.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
2oldman wrote:
If you really want to slow down, weed.
True, but it adds complexity and lack of completion. :B
But you'll think you did a good job!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
The Dicor sealants are urethane based. They cure in the presence of water/humidity. Let the Dicor cure and then roll the tape again to release the micro-adhesives in the tape.

My experience was that it cures in presence of air. (Which contains humidity of course).

With poor air access it will cure poorly. One thing I hate in Dicor is that it takes weeks to cure completely - this is with proper air access.

If you don't have to have the tape over Dicor, - then don't. Scrap it off now, Dicor with tape, and reapply Dicor alone.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
True, but it adds complexity and lack of completion. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The Dicor sealants are urethane based. They cure in the presence of water/humidity. Let the Dicor cure and then roll the tape again to release the micro-adhesives in the tape.

If the tape doesn't stick, remove it with a heat gun/hair dryer, scrape the Dicor off with a plastic spreader and caulk remover, clean the whole area with acetone, and apply the tape again correctly.

The reason God made beer was to slow down projects like this so a guy doesn't get carried away. Next time, more beer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just leave it. EB is difficult to remove.