cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond prep and install advice

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 50' roll of 6" wide to lay along the roof edge on each side of my 5er. You can see i have had a couple of incidents with trees that put a few quarter size tears in the rubber roof.

I hear prep and install is everything when it comes to laying this stuff down. My plan is to wash with soap/water then use some mineral spirits along the area to remove anything else.

As far as laying the Eternabond down you can see there is an arch in the roof line about 5' back from the front cap. Should I use two separate strips that meet/overlap at the arch or is the stuff playable/bendable enough to start at the front cap and run one continuous 25' strip down each side?

I've also heard its a good idea to take something like a rolling pin to it after installing to make sure good contact which I plan on doing.

Any other advice?

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
28 REPLIES 28

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got to this over the weekend. Overall a pretty horrible experience working with this stuff on a curved surface. Here is some advice I have for anyone wanting to attempt this

1) No NOT attempt this in the direct sun when its hot. Started this yesterday when it was about 90* outside in the afternoon sun. Big mistake.... Stuff is way too tacky and struggled at times to even get the backing off the tape. Gave up and started over this morning.

2) Get someone to help you preferably NOT a spouse. With all the cursing we probably took a few years off our marriage:)

3) Do NOT attempt to do this as a continuous role. We started at the front and attempted to do this in one continuous roll and it was a completed disaster. There are too many angles to deal with and you will never get it to lie flat. Cut the tape into more manageable 5-6' sections and apply one at a time and overlap. Yes you will see the seams but at least you will get it to lie flat with no creases/bubbles.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
6" eternabond is 2" wider than what you are suggesting
and the EB doesn't need to be coated with sealant

We used Eternabond Webseal on our RV and it does need to be coated to give it UV protection. You are correct if talking about PVC Eternabond.

Webseal can be used over a 90 degree angle and still seal well. We coated with Rubber Roof coating.

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insight Larry. Good to know. I'd heard good things about it, anchoring cables down, wrapping corners and have seen pics that look like it fit around stuff pretty good, so, thought I'd add it on top of the feet. Might just use Dicor or something like that 3M Marine 4000UV you mentioned I guess. MrWizard I do have the 3M VHB on the bottom of the feet but am using well nuts instead of screws for a better hold through thin roof material.
Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

MrWizard
Joel_T wrote:
Seems it offers the best of both worlds of sealing and adhesion. Wouldn't it be good for helping secure AND seal roof mounted solar panels. I'm using well nuts through the feet though.....can't roller that area. Will finger pressure around the well nuts be enough to activate whatever it is that needs activating?

NO..because of trying to roller it to make it adhere
but you can use 3M VHB tape strips, between the mount and the roof
stick the mount to the roof with the VHB, then but a couple screws thru it
top the screws with some sealant to keep them from vibrating loose
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joel_T wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Joel_T wrote:
Seems it offers the best of both worlds of sealing and adhesion. Wouldn't it be good for helping secure AND seal roof mounted solar panels. I'm using well nuts through the feet though.....can't roller that area. Will finger pressure around the well nuts be enough to activate whatever it is that needs activating?

NO! NO! NO! ... While Eternbond sticks like concrete, the microsealant is very elastic and softens with heat and will stretch making it a very poor adhesive for attaching anything. In fact if you stretch even the roof seal, over time you will see that areas along it's edges will release from whatever surface you have applied it to.

Larry

Hmmm, that's a vigorous "No!" The feet are held with a 3m adhesive in addition to the well nuts. Instead of Dicor over the feet I was thinking the Eternabond would offer some additional securing besides the necessary sealing around the well nuts.

And for good reason. In fact I think you will find the roof seal won't even conform over something like #10 round headed screw well. You'd be better off using something like the 3M Marine 4000UV (first choice) or the 4200/5200 (second choice).

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Joel_T wrote:

NO! NO! NO! ... While Eternbond sticks like concrete, the microsealant is very elastic and softens with heat and will stretch making it a very poor adhesive for attaching anything. In fact if you stretch even the roof seal, over time you will see that areas along it's edges will release from whatever surface you have applied it to.

Larry

Hmmm, that's a vigorous "No!" The feet are held with a 3m adhesive in addition to the well nuts. Instead of Dicor over the feet I was thinking the Eternabond would offer some additional securing besides the necessary sealing around the well nuts.
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joel_T wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Joel_T wrote:

I used 3 screws per 6" bracket (4 brackets per panel) and an adhesive caulk: 3M4200. They are holding up well and are very strong.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

X2. Eternabond is a fantastic product. While not guaranteed for 25 years, they claim that properly installed it can last that long. And from my experience with it, I believe it could last 25 years.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rvroofinstaller
Explorer
Explorer
What you need to do is use a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, along with getting rid of the lap sealant, self leveling caulking, never worry about your seams again..

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
brulaz wrote:
It's tempting to do this as preventive maintenance.
Ran into a lot of branches this summer ...

But, nah, I've still got four bearings to repack, and luckily the branches didn't tear up the rubber roof.

These trailers are a lot of work!

I said the same thing but waited to long and the damage is now done. Wish I hadn't waited and done it sooner.

*sigh*, maybe next summer ... ๐Ÿ˜ž
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
It's tempting to do this as preventive maintenance.
Ran into a lot of branches this summer ...

But, nah, I've still got four bearings to repack, and luckily the branches didn't tear up the rubber roof.

These trailers are a lot of work!

I said the same thing but waited to long and the damage is now done. Wish I hadn't waited and done it sooner.