cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior 12 volt outlet

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone- I want to install a 12 volt outlet on the exterior of our camper. I would like just a single port with a bracket to mount on the underside of the 5th wheel overhang, so it needs to be weatherproof. The ones Iโ€™ve found so far seem relatively low amperage. I will connect it directly to the battery and shunt with appropriate fusing. Iโ€™m going to be using it to power a 12 volt inflater for bike tires and an inflatable kayak and so on. Can anyone recommend an appropriate outlet? Thanks!
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
19 REPLIES 19

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree and RoyB, I found an Atwood Marine unit on Amazon that gets great reviews. Comes with 10 gage wire and connectors, a closable cover and a rear boot, as well as a mounting bracket. Perfect I think for my needs. Thanks for your suggestions.

Dick_B - this is strictly for boondocking so no 120 connectoon. I only have a very small inverter for our TV, so I have a 12 volt inflater. Thanks for your thoughts.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I bought this one for our TT. It's well made with decent size wires and water tight. Link

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but I use a small compressor to pump up our bike tires that plugs into the 120V outlet on the outside of the trailer. It's a Campbell Hausfield 4100 for around $40 at various locations. You could also use it to top off the RV tires in a pinch.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your best results would be to get a BLUE SEA or WEST MARINE type matching 12VDC PLUG/SOCKET that is used in boat and marine units... ETRAILER should have something like this as well...

I have tried other brands from autoparts stores and they always over heat on me when I try to pull 4-5AMPS DC current through them

Using a matching 12V PLUG will give you the best results...

Something like this from AMAZON should work just fine for you... Be sure to use at least #12 wiring or higher rating...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Probably something intended for a boat, motorcycle or atv?

Have you looked at Blue Sea products?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed