cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exterior wall vent fix

NorseNW
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how "technical" this is but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea for a fix for this. I lost one of the two tabs (circled in the picture) that secure the vent flap for when you are driving. I can't find anything online that allows you to buy just a new plastic deal. The new vent assembly is only $12 but than I'm looking a more involved replacement project.

My theory was to fashion something to go on the bottom of the flap. Similar setup as the side vent tabs but larger and easier to access. Maybe just screw it into the bottom of the plastic assembly?

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and-Fans/Ventline/V2111-13.html

Sorry just realized posting photos is beyond my capabilities on this site. Above is the link to the piece I'm talking about
19 REPLIES 19

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
When not in use and left unsecured daubers and other insects can get inside the vent when the wind causes them to flap open and closed since they typically do not have screens.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Many of these air flow to open flaps get damage when subjected to external winds that causes them to repeatedly swing open and close while driving. That's why clips are on the unit. Those with the heavier spring or manual opening flaps don't have this problem. Many just use a piece of foam (such as those pool noodles) and shove it in the flap while driving when the clips break off.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jkwilson wrote:
theczar wrote:
Just Curious, Why is it important to latch it closed? Mine is far off the ground (and a different style) and cannot reach without the ladder. I found it too much of a hassle to add to my setup and teardown routine and have left it unclipped for years. Never had any issues.

Rain can blow in either on the road or in a storm when the flap opens from the wind. Might not be a problem in your area.

Plus the flap itself isnโ€™t meant to withstand road-speed winds. If anyone has gotten away with it theyโ€™re just lucky.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
theczar wrote:
Just Curious, Why is it important to latch it closed? Mine is far off the ground (and a different style) and cannot reach without the ladder. I found it too much of a hassle to add to my setup and teardown routine and have left it unclipped for years. Never had any issues.

Rain can blow in either on the road or in a storm when the flap opens from the wind. Might not be a problem in your area.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

NorseNW
Explorer
Explorer
I greatly appreciate all the replies and ideas. I will say I debated if it was needed or not. Just kind of assumed since it had clips there was a reason. I will say for the first year I didn't realize it had clips and just thought the fan sucked (or didn't suck) because we would run it with the clips close and it wouldn't do much! I'm pretty sure I've forgotten to close them before getting on the road a handful of times now and haven't seen any ill effects unless that how the one clip got snapped off.

I may check out those screen clips just for a piece of mind

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
NorseNW wrote:
Thank you. I knew I forgot something simple!

You have extra โ€œIMGโ€ tags around your photo link still. I edited your post here.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
theczar wrote:

X2
Never an issue!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Something like this should work.

Flush plastic screen clips.

I'd leave the existing screws alone and drill 2 new holes in the bottom flange of the vent frame.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
On some models they do sell a replacement flap. After 2 of them failed on mine I put a piece of window screen in place of the flapper to keep bugs out, and use a piece of round foam water pipe insulation stuffed in the opening to keep the cold and heat out when not in use. When I use it I just pull the the foam piece down to one corner, then push it back afterwards.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Or, do what I do, just stick an empty toilet paper roll up there. It does the job, and if you forget about it, it rot's sooner or later and falls off : )
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.

theczar
Explorer
Explorer

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it. They are cheap. If you are a Amazon Prime member you get free shipping.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use 3M locking velcro tabs? I use them on everything inside/outside and they rarely fail.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago one of the members on another site made replacements out of metal which I have been using for years. He charged $25 each and lost so much money he stopped making them.
They consisted of a rod, the diameter of the tabs that break off with a flat piece of metal wrapped around the rod. Basically it was the same shape and size of the plastic one.
So if you are handy, or have access to a high school metal shop (do they still have those?) make one or have one made.
Once made the trick is to install it!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)