cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic Fan vs. Maxxair

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
What are the pros and cons of each? Sound level, air moved, cost, durability, etc?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP
11 REPLIES 11

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood acquired Fantastic. Some individual parts they no longer sell, but they are still quite helpful on the phone and still honor the lifetime warranty on the dome.

My View came with a Fantastic Vent, basic three speed fan, from the factory. I had to replace the frame of the unit (cracked) and found a new one from http://www.rvvent.com/ and during the reinstallation and sealing, I installed a Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, which flows much more air than other makes (and is larger, allowing the dome to be opened further.)

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I've put MaxxAir Deluxe units in my last two rigs, both of which already had FanTastic fans so that I've had one of each in both rigs at the same time. I've found the MaxxAir less prone to bearing chirping/squeal over time. Hard to say which moves the most air as they both get a pretty good breeze going when on high speed. My MaxxAir units generally need the screen pulled down and cleaned more often than the Fantastic fan, which may or may not mean anything. The Fantastic fan has the rain sensor, no hood so it is generally closed when not in use. The MaxxAir has a built in cover and it is generally left open whether the fan is in use or not.

My own thoughts are that either unit does a good job.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I put a MaxxFan 1200T on out '03 mh. We traded it for a new '15. When I went to get a new MaxxFan 1200T to put in our new mh I found they were no longer available, sure wish ai had removed the one from our old mh.

Anyone know where there is one, even used? We sure liked the old one.

Dusty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The Fantastic fan motor is Panasonic of Japan. I was quoted $35.31 FOB factory as OEM price. Purchasing in 100 lots brought the cost down another 15%. Bank transfer arrangement.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
It might be status quo bias, but our camper came with a MaxxFan. When I did some research, I came across a post which said the Fantastic (with the rain sensor) wouldn't close if your turned it off while open. I don't know if that's true not (maybe that's wrong, or it's been fixed) - but I've never had an issue with our fan.

We're happy with the Maxxfan, for what it's worth. They're both vastly overpriced.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can put a standard cover over a Fantastic Fan but you'll have to run the fan a notch higher. It just loses a little flow but otherwise it works fine.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sheeeeeeeet they even tried to sell Hershey to Nestle.

The point should perhaps be...

Has anyone every had any bad experience with Maxx Air...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maxx Air has models that blow DOWN onto the roof, can be open and operational during a rain storm

Fantastic fan for many years said DO NOT PUT A COVER OVER IT so you had to close in the rain,,, Now they sell a cover.. So I'm not sure there is a difference worth mentioning.

ONe difference though. For many years the most fantastic thing about Fantastic fan was the customer support.. But last year (or the year before not sure) THe company was sold to, as I recall, the same company that makes A&E, and Dometic, and several other RV brands, and this company is not big on Customer Support. Though at least initally FF was not affected in this way. I do not know today.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Observation...

My late model silver motor Endless Breeze box fan has to have 10+ thousand hours on the Panasonic motor. It is spinning and cooling me as I write this. Yep 417 days, 24/7 More than likely it has double that - I have not kept a record since 2006. Now that I brag, watch, it'll quit tomorrow...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about Heng's VORTEX

motor seems the same in my Vortex as it does in the Fantastic. Vortex install was a lot easier, no messing with the roof seal.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fantastic v Maxx 2017
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman