cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling small holes in Filon/Fiberglass exterior walls

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few 1/8" screw holes in right and left exterior walls (where previous baggage compartment door holders were screwed down). Couple of holes in wall and a couple in doors (each side).

What is the best / preferred way to fill in these holes? It's a 12 year old trailer so not too concerned about getting an exact color match.

NOTE: Filon in both wall and doors is thin and there is no backing.

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
7 REPLIES 7

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is white Filon I would use Marine-tex or any white epoxy sold at any marine supply store. Sounds like you are filling a few holes maybe 1/8 in in dia so you can even by a 3 oz tube of 3M 5200 to fill the holes. Just smooth it of with a putty knife after you fill the holes.

pauldub wrote:
Marcela wrote:
Clear silicone sealant is your friend. And it will match perfectly the surrounding color.

Never use silicone. When in needs maintenance in the future, nothing will stick.

Agreed! And the silicone won't stick either. It will cause a leak around itself.
A good polymer based sealant is the best choice. It will even adhere to wet surfaces. I use Weathermaster Titebond in my solarium business. Best I have ever found for the application.
There are others, widely used here by members, but no to silicone.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela wrote:
Clear silicone sealant is your friend. And it will match perfectly the surrounding color.

Never use silicone. When in needs maintenance in the future, nothing will stick.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Seal holes, install stick on levels for front to back leveling. That's if the storage doors are at front of trailer!! 99% are!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer

The doorknob who had our TT before us hung a decoration on a wall with drywall screws that were longer than the wall was thick....
Screws were sticking out the wall on the outside.

When I pulled them out I just used some polymer based caulking a similar color and filled the holes, then smoothed it off on the outside and cleaned up any excess.

The thing to do is put the caulking tube nozzle right tight to the wall surface, then pump pressure on the gun for a second, then release the pressure before pulling the caulking gun away. This will force caulking right into the hole a ways so it isn't just on the surface.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com