cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flipping 30A breaker

semcamper628
Explorer II
Explorer II

Interested to know how often, or if ever, people are tripping their 30A breaker with the A/C running alone. (Thinking when it is really hot and the A/C is running hard)

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad

Had an older rig that kept tripping the breaker, like Grit_dog claims, could be a weak breaker.  The issue I found was that the wires attached to the breaker had come loose as a result of heating (resistance) and cooling over many years. Check all the wires connected to your breakers and make sure they are tight.  I believe that this occurs with aluminum wire more often than copper.   I think what Bid_time was saying is, make sure the shore power outlet breaker is 30A, not 20A

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Could easily be a weak breaker. Even though you donโ€™t say whether itโ€™s the main in the camper or the breaker on the pedestal. 
camper main could easily have seen better days in an old camper being lived in full time. 
similar with ped breaker too. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

Are you sure that the ac is the only thing on? Reefer, water heater and converter could be on at the same time. I have never had a breaker trip for just the ac. There is almost never just the ac working. I can run my 15k ac with one Honda 2000 which means it runs on about 15 amps. You have one of two things: a bad motor and/or compressor or a lot more load someplace else that you are not aware of.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

This would be my first guess...you have other major loads running and don't realize it. 

After that would be an old weak breaker that trips at a much lower amperage.

Finally would be something wrong with the air/con such that it's drawing way too much power.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator

I've never heard of an A/C tripping any breaker unless there is an issue with the unit and it needs repair/replacement.  Mine has chugged along in 100 degree temps without issue many times.  

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Haha that might be exactly why I am asking! I lived in a 20 year old fifth wheel for two years and the A/C alone tripped the breaker quite often in the middle of the summer. Must have been a unit issue.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad

The AC alone will never trip the 30A breaker. Itโ€™s on a separate 20A line.

Huh??

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold