cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford e350 airbag light 1997

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed the passenger seat base with a base that allows the seat to swivel and face the rear. There is only one wire harness under it with 2 pins. Since I have done this, the airbag light (yellow) in the bottom left side of the dash display will not go out. Iโ€™ve reset the harness many times, but canโ€™t get it to go out. Ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
your right,on those models the RCM is not under the seat
every model has them in a different location,where space is available

F series trucks it is usually under the dash on the trans tunnel
e series is different

ah heck but what do i know,i was only a Ford tech for 17 years and held two master certificates from Ford.so all you shade trees know more than i do

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
sneakygroundbuzzard wrote:
the SRS is the entire restraint system,made up of many different components.
the RCM is the module that monitors the system

i cant remember exactly,but i think the RCM is located under the driver seat,gray box with two square black connectors.

i do reccomend disconnecting the battery when working on restraint systems
even though i rarely ever did in my 25 years as an auto tech(17 years for ford dealer) if the key is off there is no power going to the module.but still disconnect the battery for safety sake.

i do recall an issue on some models of the Fords where the wires would break or chaff right inside the connectors,so i would look closely at them,even give them a light tug.have seen the copper strands brake inside the insulation and the insulation was intact.

if the light is on(as stated) it is in default. all default is, is deactivation of the system.so no, no bags would deploy in an accident. and no the system will not deploy if the battery is disconnected. it needs voltage to set off the system.

Humm, hate to disagree, but I HAVE owned many Ford products over the years. Some of the newer ones include a 93 Cougar, 97 F250, 2003 F250, 2006 F250, 2013 F250..

NONE of those had ANY said "box" under the drivers seat.

Nothing on top of the carpet, nothing under the carpet..

Reason I know this is that IS the location I put my dual band 2mtr/440 Ham radio with separate remote head I mount on the dash..

As far as accidental deployment goes, disconnecting the battery to prevent that was not my concern, rather it is about making sure you disconnect and reconnect all parts BEFORE you ever get the chance to "power on" the vehicle.

My understanding is all systems will do a system check on key on, if it fails to see the proper inputs it WILL fail the entire SRS system and light the failure light, a missing seat switch at key on most likely would set the SRS light.

Fixing that light only can be done with a scanner which IS designed to read/write the SRS (air bag) system. Not ALL scanners have this ability.

Most code readers can only read/reset the ECU (Engine Control Unit) which is why the OP cannot see any codes.

ABS is treated the same way by the way..

OP is most likely going to have to find a dealer to read/reset the system or pony up the money for a scanner that can.

HERE is a code reader from Harbor Freight for $189 which claims it handles SRS along with ABS..

"The ZR13 OBD2 Code Reader by Zurich is the ultimate in code readers. The ZR13 works on virtually all domestic, European and Asian vehicles. It diagnoses and erases ABS codes and lights, is equipped to graph and record live data, and allows technicians to reset the battery. It is the only Zurich reader that can diagnose and erase SRS codes and lights and it is equipped with FixAssistยฎ, which diagnoses the trouble code your vehicle is experiencing and provides the most likely solutions for repair, drawn from the vehicle manufacturerโ€™s real-time field database. The ZR13 includes an OBD connector with an LED light, making it easier to access the under-dash port.

Works with virtually all cars, light trucks, minivans, SUVs or hybrids manufactured since 1996 (OBD2) โ€“ foreign and domestic
Patented 2.8 in. all-in-one color display shows 20 data points at a time, including Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) and their definitions
FixAssistยฎ instantly suggests most likely trouble codes for Check Engine Light problems
Diagnose and reset airbag (SRS) codes
Freeze frame shows engine condition at time the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) was triggered
Test battery/charger/alternator for cars that have difficulty starting
Diagnose and reset anti-lock brake (ABS) codes
Record, graph and play back live data onscreen
Multilingual display - English, Spanish"

If you dig around for a 20% off coupon that scanner is only $151, less than what the dealer will charge for the reader hookup fee and mechanics rate...

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
the SRS is the entire restraint system,made up of many different components.
the RCM is the module that monitors the system

i cant remember exactly,but i think the RCM is located under the driver seat,gray box with two square black connectors.

i do reccomend disconnecting the battery when working on restraint systems
even though i rarely ever did in my 25 years as an auto tech(17 years for ford dealer) if the key is off there is no power going to the module.but still disconnect the battery for safety sake.

i do recall an issue on some models of the Fords where the wires would break or chaff right inside the connectors,so i would look closely at them,even give them a light tug.have seen the copper strands brake inside the insulation and the insulation was intact.

if the light is on(as stated) it is in default. all default is, is deactivation of the system.so no, no bags would deploy in an accident. and no the system will not deploy if the battery is disconnected. it needs voltage to set off the system.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
tarnold wrote:
Yes there is a passenger side bag.
What is RCM? Have a full time scan gauge plugged in, no codes.
All wiring seems to be in good shape.

Standard scanners cannot read or reset airbag system codes, need a scanner which IS designed to read and reset SRS (Supplemental Restraint System, IE air bag system).

RCM? have no idea, perhaps someone is thinking of another manufacturers terminology for SRS system?

Did you use the SAME seat from YOUR van?

There is a switch sensor in the bottom of the seat that is supposed to sense if passenger is present or not. Suspect you have a connection issue there..

You DID disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so BEFORE disconnecting the seat connector, right?

If you powered up with that connector disconnected, it may have simply tripped the SRS system into a fault, the ONLY way to fix that is to go to a dealer to have the SRS system reset or a mechanic that has the proper scan tool for SRS..

When working with ANYTHING closely related to SRS it IS wise to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so to allow the SRS system to discharge..

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea where the RCM might be located?
Ok, read more about this. My light is constant, no flashing codes. Reading indicates that the default is armed, so should probably deploy if an accident. My luck, even with the battery disconnected, fooling with it will make it blow. Been living with it on for some time now, guess just keep on going.

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
RCM is the restraint control module(thats the one the controls the air bags etc.)

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there is a passenger side bag.
What is RCM? Have a full time scan gauge plugged in, no codes.
All wiring seems to be in good shape.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a passenger side airbag or just one for the driver?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably wires for the seat belt buckle.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

sneakygroundbuz
Explorer
Explorer
need to find out what code is being put out by the RCM
then diagnose it