cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

**** foul odor ****

dutchev
Explorer
Explorer
We have been fultiming for 4 yrs. and have a 2007 fifth wheel. We don't have a sani-flo system so i use a Flush King gate valve to back wash my black water tank. After every dumping i refill the back tank with fresh water at least 2 times. I have a clear elbow so that i can see it flowing. My question is that lately i have been getting a foul odor from the toilet when we flush. I also use the odor liquid every time. Whats up with this?
11 REPLIES 11

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
Make sure you turn off your bathroom fan before you flush. The number one cause of smell being pulled back in to the bathroom is a running fan when the toilet valve is opened.
Randy

And, if your fan is reversible, have it on INTAKE when flushing.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you turn off your bathroom fan before you flush. The number one cause of smell being pulled back in to the bathroom is a running fan when the toilet valve is opened.
Randy

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
We had a similar symptom. The rubber seal between the toilet and the pipe had failed, literally sliced open through years of use....One flush and the odor returned, robust and nasty.

Waste from the toilet was leaking...[and running down the floor of the wet bath to the drain.]

...we reinstalled the toilet with a domestic-style neoprene seal from [Amazon].

Problem gone.

X2
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Before you check the seals, vents, add a venturi, or remove the toilet, pour some bleach down the toilet. This will be a short-term solution while you work on a long-term fix.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar symptom. The rubber seal between the toilet and the pipe had failed, literally sliced open through years of use. We would clean the whole area and park for storage and the smell would be gone. One flush and the odor returned, robust and nasty.

Waste from the toilet was leaking around the seal and under the tile in the bathroom. A flush would add moisture and reactivate the yuck that was already there.

On our last trip, we removed the toilet and treated the area with an enzymatic odor eliminator. We cleaned the toilet and the area thoroughly. (We also eliminated a bidet attachment from the previous owner.) Then we reinstalled the toilet with a domestic-style neoprene seal from Home Depot.

Problem gone.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't use chemicals......always found their smell unpleasant.
And other than a whiff when flushing due to open line to toilet we don't have foul odors. I find chemicals just a marketing hype

You stated "...lately i have been getting a foul odor from the toilet when we flush."

Odor only when you flush:
*Exhaust fan(s) running will pull odor up from tank when you flush (open line from toilet to tank)

*Toilet drain line to tank has build up of stuff (use a toilet wand on end of garden hose and blast line)

*Toilet pedestal is nasty (inside portion between toilet bowl and floor flange)---would need to remove toilet, take outside and blast away on it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
In hotter weather I find that doubling the dose of holding tank chemicals works at keeping the odor at bay. The chemicals are also approved for gray tank use. Bottom line - if there is an odor, you aren't using enough of the stuff.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would invest in a black tank sprayer which would help clean out your tank.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what the problem is. I've rinsed the tank a couple times in its 12 years to install a new toilet, and the odor, although not pleasant, was not overwhelming.

If you bought used ( sorry.. 'new to us'), perhaps there's something dead in there.

Oh, and I never use chemicals.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Wolfe10 has good advice. I was going to vote for the autovent under the sink in the bathroom. On my rig, it only has one roof vent and both holding tanks tie into it. If yours is the same this could explain how flushing would affect a vent on the sink drain.

As he said, make sure the roof vent is not blocked. As he said, I'd then check the tanks where the pipes connect. I finally solved a similarly frustrating issue and it was a tiny leak around where the built-in tank flush nozzle was attached. Odor found its way up into the coach.
Roaming Full Timer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest your approach is incorrect. You will never succeed in making a gray or black tank contents "smell good" or "not smell".

Instead, concentrate in keeping the odor in the tank from getting into the interior. This is done by keeping air pressure in the tank lower than that inside the RV. There are several venturi-based devices that mount on the roof vent for the tank that help.

Also, check the air admittance valve under the sinks. Their rubber can dry out and allow gray tank odor into the interior.

Of course, there could be a physical reason for the change. For example, the vent pipe may have slipped down into the tank, a bird or insect nest may be blocking the roof vent, etc.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/