cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator power question

phred6185
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Newmar Bay Star with an Onan 5.5k generator. This past weekend I attempted to run the generator under load for its monthly workout. The generator runs fine but there is no power getting to the coach. I checked the breakers both on the generator and inside and no issues, no bad fuses. The power came on twice when I restarted the generator but cut off instantly when I turned something on and drew power.

Reading some forums suggest that the automatic transfer switch may be bad. I am trying to get a tech to look at it but it's snowbird time in South Florida and I'm having trouble getting an appointment (there is no way I would attempt to fix myself).

My question is, I'm supposed to leave Thursday on a 2 week trek with it. Will I be able to use shore power despite the possible bad switch or is it a bad idea?
4 REPLIES 4

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
If the transfer swx, the failure will depend on what set of lugs are loose or burned, contacts welded in what position, or of the coil is open.

O the fun...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
And I had power from Shore only.. But then mine the "Resting" state is shore power connected.. (Resting means no power present from either source)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just depends......

When my transfer switch failed I didn't have power from either generator OR shore power

So......if possible hook up to shore power and check.
If you have power from shore source......good to go. Just don't try gen power again as it could fail and leave you without any power.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
phred6185 wrote:
The generator runs fine but there is no power getting to the coach. Will I be able to use shore power despite the possible bad (transfer) switch or is it a bad idea?

Plug into shore power where yer at now and see if she holds!!! If ya got shore power, take off and get yer gen set looked at down the road if it really bugs you not having back-up generator power

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER