cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator selection

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
Well, as we get a little more serious about camping, I'm thinking a small generator is in order. I'm looking at either Yamaha or Generac 2000 watt. I need to look at what the AC unit on my TT requires as I'm guessing a 2000watt won't the AC.

Pros and Cons to the little Generac and Yamahas?
16 REPLIES 16

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A question: How many BTUs is the A/C?

If it is below 13,500 BTUs, a Honda eu2000i can run it (although not it and the microwave at the same time.)

At 13,500 BTUs, it is iffish a 2400-3000 watt generator can run it, mainly due to the locked rotor amps. For this, I recommend two Honda 2000 units paired, or the above Yamaha 3000iSEB. Make sure to get the iSEB option with the battery boost so the generator can provide the additional 500 watts of inrush current.

At 15,000 BTUs, I'd definitely go for the Yamaha 3000iSEB or the Honda twins. Anything less, even "just" a 3000 watt generator won't hack it when the A/C starts up and demands its payment of 60 locked rotor amps.

As an alternative, you can use a hybrid inverter like Magnum Energy's or Victron's. This allows for a smaller genset, as the inverter and the battery bank eat the locked rotor amps.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I own a Honda Eu1000i for around the house emergencies, and I've owned two Honda EU2000i's and paired them. Much, much easier to lift a 48# Honda Eu2000i and get a pairing cable for the second Honda Eu2000i. They will loaf in eco mode, nice and quiet, once the AC is started up and running.

Honda motors have a lot of overhead... starting a heavy load won't make them stop running. Typical quality Honda product.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
6.6 Oilburner wrote:
Makes me wonder if I should be looking at a honda instead of the Yamaha. Even if I have to cough up some extra cheese.

Having owned two EU2000i gensets myself I'd say absolutely ... 20% larger engine, much better sustained surge capability than the EF2000iS, and should you ever want to run a Progressive Industries EMS to protect your trailer's electrical system you won't be affected by the Progressive Industries / Yamaha Disclaimer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:
Take this little bit of advise from a guy who tried the Generacs!

RUN, DO NOT WALK AWAY!!

They are completely overrated in what they say they can run! I had a total of 4 of them and could not get anywhere near the 14 amps they were rated. 11 was the best I could ever get. I sent a ton of information to Generac and the best they could come up with was to buy a big industrial open frame! Total waste of time!! I got pair of Honda's and now am happy as can be!! Will run everything I want with amps to spare.

Here is the thread on my ordeal. Read it and decide for yourself

Generac Beware

Chris

Good read. Thanks. Makes me wonder if I should be looking at a honda instead of the Yamaha. Even if I have to cough up some extra cheese. I hadn't even thought about powering a coffee pot. My wife has a percolator on the stove type deal that I swear is a left over from Lewis and Clark. I thought I was being a wuss wanting my AC and some of you guys are worried about your Keurigs.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Take this little bit of advise from a guy who tried the Generacs!

RUN, DO NOT WALK AWAY!!

They are completely overrated in what they say they can run! I had a total of 4 of them and could not get anywhere near the 14 amps they were rated. 11 was the best I could ever get. I sent a ton of information to Generac and the best they could come up with was to buy a big industrial open frame! Total waste of time!! I got pair of Honda's and now am happy as can be!! Will run everything I want with amps to spare.

Here is the thread on my ordeal. Read it and decide for yourself

Generac Beware

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Most folks use either Honda or Yahama. Honad EU-2000i USUALLY will not run a rooftop A/C (Some of the smaller high effiency ones perhaps but generally no)

The Yahama EF-2400i is just a bit more powerful and MIGHT get the job done.

The Honda, (And many other brands) can be paired and the pair WILL do the job.

I suspect today's Yahama's can also be parallelled.

A 3,000/3600 likely will (A 3600 is a full 30 amps by the way)

But they are a bit heavier than most folks care for.

Yeah, I was looking at weights. The Doubled up Yamahas look like a nice setup for flexibility. At my current age and shape, getting a 150lb generator out of the back of the truck alone is plenty doable, but certainly doesn't excite me.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most folks use either Honda or Yahama. Honad EU-2000i USUALLY will not run a rooftop A/C (Some of the smaller high effiency ones perhaps but generally no)

The Yahama EF-2400i is just a bit more powerful and MIGHT get the job done.

The Honda, (And many other brands) can be paired and the pair WILL do the job.

I suspect today's Yahama's can also be parallelled.

A 3,000/3600 likely will (A 3600 is a full 30 amps by the way)

But they are a bit heavier than most folks care for.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
Hondas and Yamahas seem to be super popular. Generac is a major brand in standby generators, and I know many people who have their large home stand by generators with great luck. So I was curious if the smaller stuff was worthwhile.

And most of our (if not all) camping will be done in NYS, mostly State/DEC campgrounds. Generators can be run something like 5 hours a day, usually between set morning hours then again afternoon/evening. I feel like that would be adequate.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest before you buy a Genny. IF you will be camping in campgrounds, like National Parks, and National forests, or state parks. You should research the rule. You may not be able to run the genny all night, or only for a couple hours a few times a day.

Now IF you are planning on camping out away from the world, like in the desert, or like that. Dosen't matter. You will be the only one to hear it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you must run the air conditioner I recommend something that can be paralleled as 2000 watts (1600 rated) is most likely too small.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Since you can purchase wholesale Yamaha, I would recommend the Yamaha 3000 sIEB. It has electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
6.6 Oilburner wrote:
It will almost definitely be a Generac or Yamaha...

The go Yamaha. Reputation among rv'ers is stellar; not seen too much about the Generacs.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
It will almost definitely be a Generac or Yamaha as I can get wholesale pricing on those two brands. The Trailer already has 4 6 volt batteries in a tool box with a marine charger/tender wired in. So i guess I really don't even need an inverter. It seems to have no trouble keeping us powered on a 3 day weekend, it would just be nice to have the insurance and possibly run the AC.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
On the other hand, if all you want is to keep the batteries up, consider installing 400 to 600 watts of solar. That, along with a suitable inverter would power everything except for the roof air, and it is a one time cost that pays for itself in extended battery bank life.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.