cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generators, do you get what you pay for?

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Recently picked this up for HOME use during a power outage.

Everyone talks about how crappy the output is from a NON honda inverter generators.

I also own a elim3000, which is found in various posts on here. Never a problem.

So for giggles i hooked up an oscilloscope to my new NON-Inverter generator. Got to say I'm pretty impressed. I have seen significantly worse.

Quality does seem to show. I did a 3 hour break in last night to about 5900 watts. Going to power the house and take it right to its limit sometime this week

Although it is on the "quieter" side. This thing is loud when loaded

Generator link

CLICKY paid 550 before tax with coupon

link to other generators output including Honda 2000
Generator/Inverters outputs

12 REPLIES 12

77charger
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
my elim still runs flawless, has about 100 hours on it, what exactly is failing?

100 hours is just getting started. Not saying its not dependable just saying that's not many hours.

agreed but i have a onan in my motorhome which has 300 hours. its been apart 4 times now

i just find it odd, that both generators of his broke around the same time of use. there are huge huge threads devoted to those 2 generators. and i have not seen many comments on failures at all

I had way more than 100 hours on them both they both.They just began to struggle when loaded up and once load kicked in they sounded like they were going to die.When new they worked great no doubt and i will still say they are a great buy for the money my guess would be they both had close to or more than a 1000 hours i know i ran them both from fri to sunday non stop on a couple of occasions.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I found this link comparing a couple of different power sources. The non inverter generator looks pretty bad...

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
my elim still runs flawless, has about 100 hours on it, what exactly is failing?

100 hours is just getting started. Not saying its not dependable just saying that's not many hours.

agreed but i have a onan in my motorhome which has 300 hours. its been apart 4 times now

i just find it odd, that both generators of his broke around the same time of use. there are huge huge threads devoted to those 2 generators. and i have not seen many comments on failures at all

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:

NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

77charger
Explorer
Explorer
In my experiences i have had the china type elim 3000 and the champion.Both lasted about a year and a half.Used often during the winter desert trips and a few summer trips for camping.each cost me about 300 each.

After the second unit began to fade(yellow champ) i decided to just get a used honda 3000eu for 1300 cause at the time another champion was gonna be 400 this time around in CA.that would have been 1000 bucks in 4.5 years on gens.I got the honda in 09 and it has been great but the bigger cost saving has been fuel what took 12-15 gallons for a week long trip is now 5-6 gallons for the same time.
Consider the fuel savings and reliability over the 4 years and you realize the long term savings plus its quiet.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
it was resistance heater, maybe i will try it with an air compressor on it

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say what the load for the test was. If was a resistive load like a portable heater, try it with a more unfriendly load like an air conditioner or power converter with a somewhat heavy load. If the waveform still looks good with those loads you have found yourself an above average conventional generator. For comparison, here's a picture of an Onan Microquiet running a fully loaded PD9160A converter (voltage trace on top, current on bottom):

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
i stated it is NOT a inverter generator

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Are you sure that's an inverter generator? It doesn't appear to me to be one. Even very cheap non-inverter generators will produce a nice sine wave, when used within their (actual, not necessarily stated) limits, since the waveform is based on the physics of rotating a coil in a magnetic field. It's a lot more work to produce something that isn't a fairly nice sine wave.

You are correct it is not an inverter type generator.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure that's an inverter generator? It doesn't appear to me to be one. Even very cheap non-inverter generators will produce a nice sine wave, when used within their (actual, not necessarily stated) limits, since the waveform is based on the physics of rotating a coil in a magnetic field. It's a lot more work to produce something that isn't a fairly nice sine wave.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Ho hum about generator but impressed with your scope.