cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI Breaker switch won't reset

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
Breaker switch wont reset , and hence one plug in the bathroom, 2 plugs in the kitchen and the water heater (using electricity) don't work (surprisingly the dishwasher does). The outlets say GFI protected but there is no button to 'test' the outlet. The RV was in storage in high humidity and I might guess that this is causing the problem. (Today is Day 1 out of storage). If so, will the plugs dry-out ? Should I replace the outlets with the type of outlet that has the test button right on it to possibly identify the source ? This is a Mobile Suites 5th wheel. Thank you

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
19 REPLIES 19

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
YC 1 wrote:
The won't reset if they do not have 110 volts going into them. Be sure your 110 volt path is working. For example, are other outlets working? Have you checked your AC panel breakers.

He said the "breaker", meaning in the "breaker" Panel. It's not a problem with the outlets not resetting, it's the breaker not resetting.

Yes, the problem can be in any of the outlets. You can try disconnecting the black wire at the GFCI breaker in the panel. The breaker should then reset. If it does, you have to disconnect each outlet individually until you can reset the breaker. That is the guilty outlet and should be replaced.

I would give my first attention to the water heater. Possible the heating element is grounded. Disconnect that from the outlet and try to reset the breaker.

You may want to consider an outlet that possibly was exposed to moisture.

You could also use a hair dryer to dry out the outlets. Might work.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The water heater would be suspect. Disconnect the water heater from circuit and try resetting. My guess is water heater elemnet is going to ground.
Items such as water heater are not normally connected to GFCI circuit.
Next would be to remove GFCI and disconnect load side wiring. Then try to reset. If it doe not reset, GFCI is bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
This is day 1 , back on the road for the next 7 months....All the outlets and appliances are working EXCEPT for 3 plugs and water heater. We are hooked to 50 Amp site....Nothing is plugged in (nothing was)โ€ฆ..Before calling an electrician, I can do some of basic checks...eg change plugs or just wait a few days to see if things dry out...I mean it was like a steam room when we first opened the door....I am not sure why 'they' installed outlets that don't have the little red button that pops out

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure you are not overloading them. If overloaded they won't reset. Also, check for a bad ground.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The won't reset if they do not have 110 volts going into them. Be sure your 110 volt path is working. For example, are other outlets working? Have you checked your AC panel breakers.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008