cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Greasy propane?

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Was experiencing low propane flow. The oven would light, but not stay lit. Same problem with furnace. Since we are on the road, we ended up at Camping World.

CW replaced both regulators and the problem is resolved.

Here are my questions. The CW tech said that he thought the problem with the regulators was caused by greasy or oily propane.

1. Is that possible, or is that something the CW tech made up?
2. Is it a common problem?
3. How do I protect myself in the future?
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
10 REPLIES 10

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Plasticizers leach from propane hoses, especially the part that experiences high pressure and temp.

https://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/FS_11297%20Propane%20F...

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
What often appears to be yellowish slick oily residue in propane is actually the carry over of a caustic solution (sodium hydroxide) used in a final stage counter-flow process to rid commercial propane of any remaining sulphur compounds...Any residue should be tested with ph paper to determine whether it is corrosive...

3 tons

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Refinery LPG valves need to be lubed. So refiners inject x ounces of heavy lubricant per thousands of gallons of LPG.

A new LPG bottle may weigh 18 pounds. Ten years later it may weigh 24 pounds with zero pressure. Guess what's inside sitting on the bottom? Refineries have liquid traps that almost work. The gas dries out the lubricant over a long period of time and it becomes wax like.

I have cleaned a 100 pound cylinder with a gallon of acetone soaking for a couple of weeks. Then a jouncy ride on a desert track, dig a hole and tip the cylinder upside down with the valve open.

Gloves and disposable clothing. The odorant was so intense it smelled like an industrial accident -- not recommended.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
RRinNFla wrote:
Doug. I have a fifth wheel, so there is a step down regulator on the street side, and the switchover regulator on the curb side. I think both tanks were filled by the same vendor.

I think most, if not all, 5ers are going to have the two regulators if the propane tanks are mounted on opposite sides of the trailer. Required by NFPA and RVIA.

My high pressure (step down) regulator developed a slow leak and there was oily/waxy residue around the vent hole where it was exiting.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we had it happen on a TT we had wintered over in in Canada, the next summer down south we couldnt get propane flow. the steel propane pipes were full of a dark yellowish grease. We had to replace the regulator, flush the piping with solvent. Luckily no other issues.

The down south propane supplier spoke of 'condensates' in the propane that condense at low pressure. He couldnt explain how or why, its a refinery issue.

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Doug. I have a fifth wheel, so there is a step down regulator on the street side, and the switchover regulator on the curb side. I think both tanks were filled by the same vendor.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on a 2008 Allegro Bus. When I pulled the main regulator there was a black, oily substance in it that was very obvious. Since the regulator wasn't that expensive and it was easy to change, I figured trying to flush out the gunk wasn't worth the effort. As it happens, I never had the problem again, so I guess it was a good decision.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Google "heavy ends" and you'll find enough to keep you busy reading for months. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is only 1 main regulator. Replacing the Range/Oven regulator was probably not needed. WHY did they replace the Oven/Range regulator? Oil in a LP system does happen, but the oil can be seen. They should have showed you the old regulator with the brown oily film IF it was contaminated LP. IF the Oven regulator had OIL, then your system needs flushed(Expensive). Oil getting downstream is highly unusual. Usually just the Main regulator catches and stops oil intrusion. The simple answer is, the LP regulator failed and it just needed to be replaced, no Oil or anything else. Doug

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Greasy propane. Thatโ€™s a new one for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad