cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trojan T-105 versus T-1275

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering using a pair of T-1275 instead of T-105 to gain some additional amp-hour capacity. Should I expect either of these choices to last for about the same number of 50% discharge/charge cycles? Also, it seems that a pair the 12v in parallel with likely have half internal resistance than a pair of 6v in series. I'm guessing the pair of 12v would do better running an inverter with a 1000 watt load.
20 REPLIES 20

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikes wrote:
landyacht318 wrote:
Niner, was not your t-1275 used and abused before you got it?

Perhaps a t-1275 recharged properly from new, would not require the extra voltage and duration at that extra voltage.

I was going to get a t-1275, but then my Northstar AGM -27 proved it alone could meet my needs, and next month will have been flying solo for 3 years.

My T-1275's came out of a golf cart. Went on the charger every night. They lasted about 2.5 years. I pampered them, I recharged them at 14.8V, I equalize recharged them when they got home from a trip. The oddest thing about them was the cells never really all got in synch with the specific gravities all being the same., the variance between cells was quite high. They were a bugger to desulphate if I went 10 to 14 days between an equalization recharge. Very time consuming.....

I did not use mine the same way, so that might explain our different experiences.

I only did at most four days in a row of 50-90s before getting them full again, or else was on solar for weeks and weeks with them getting full most days. SG came up to baseline(s)

Once home, I had them on my VEC1093DBD equalize mode to 15.7v and that was that. SGs back up to their various levels. That charger is automatic shut off when equalization is done, so I did not have to be there and do the time consuming thing. Usually did it overnight while asleep.

EDIT: I did not have a charger that would do over that 15.7 for most of the time I had the T-1275s, but later I did with the PowerMax adjustable that would do 16.5 max, so I was able to try out the Trojan specs.

As Mex said (several times) there is a big difference in bubbling between 15.7 and 16 (16.2 for Trojan) so they got that towards the end, but it was near their end anyway, so no results to notice. No way to know if mine would have lasted longer than the five years with me getting to 16.2 instead of 15.7. They were not like brand new when I got them after all, same as yours were not.

I still think brand new ones would be good for RVing where there is some inverter high amps mixed in with regular 12v stuff like the furnace. Worked for me, even with the ex-golf car ones.

I have gone AGM for the next round, so I lot of what I used to do by having Wets is now history, but it was "interesting". ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Smitty,

The T-1275 has been around for at least ten years.

Thank you sir:)!

Smitty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Best option when more than two batteries will not fit is to consider AGM batteries. They cannot match the reserve capacity of the scrubber but will out cycle and out CCA them.

GC220's, Scrubbers, and L16's were the three major battery types of my studies. Scrubbers like 31s are quirky...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Straight from the Trojan T1275 data sheet

Bulk Charge - 14.82V
Float Charge - 13.50V
Equalize Charge - 16.20V

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:

Perhaps a t-1275 recharged properly from new, would not require the extra voltage and duration at that extra voltage.

I was going to get a t-1275, but then my Northstar AGM -27 proved it alone could meet my needs, and next month will have been flying solo for 3 years.

My T-1275's came out of a golf cart. Went on the charger every night. They lasted about 2.5 years. I pampered them, I recharged them at 14.8V, I equalize recharged them when they got home from a trip. The oddest thing about them was the cells never really all got in synch with the specific gravities all being the same., the variance between cells was quite high. They were a bugger to desulphate if I went 10 to 14 days between an equalization recharge. Very time consuming.

I knew they were done when I fully recharged them the day before on a 7 day trip, both generator and solar panels, at 14.8V, hardly ran anything all night and took a 5 or 6 minute shower the next morning to drain the fresh water tank before doing a dump, and the water pump was fading fast to a trickle from the showerhead while washing my hair to get all the camp dirt out of it, the 2nd time around. Time for something new for my battery needs, pronto. Good thing it was at the end of a trip.

The best thing I did (though it won't help the OP, he wants 1000w) was replace them with a single 157 AH lightly used DEKA thick plated surplus TELECOM bank battery with very very thick lead plates, in AGM.
It's slow to recharge, won't take much over 20 amps, but it's a breeze to fully recharge, and it doesn't lose much voltage in storage, during the winter. For my usage, it's perfect.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
brulaz wrote:
BFL13 wrote:

BTW did anybody get a post in this thread yesterday timed 3.47 after Smitty's and before mine asking about that? If so who from? Thanks.

Nope. Your post was the 4th, just after smitty's #3.

Thanks. On mine, Smitty was listed as #2 reply. On the main list, after Smitty's post came through, it showed a new reply #3 timed 3:47 but when I went to look, there was no new post. Mine after that was listed as #4 reply, so it looked to me like I never saw the mystery #3. If you count replies it looks like we have one missing.

That has been happening a lot to me over the last few months and I keep thinking we have a phantom poster, who triggers the "new reply" but nothing ever shows up.
Photo in Profile

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:

BTW did anybody get a post in this thread yesterday timed 3.47 after Smitty's and before mine asking about that? If so who from? Thanks.

Nope. Your post was the 4th, just after smitty's #3.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
landyacht318 wrote:

I never had that kind of problem with my previously enjoyed T-1275s. Nothing like with the Screwy 31 or my 27s. More like my 6s for recharging. That was to get the SGs as good as they ever got for baseline, but the SGs did vary among cells. All in the Green though. I just ignored that and got my five years. They did not fade away at the end, but sort of nose dived once their time was up.

Photo in Profile

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pauldub wrote:
I'm considering using a pair of T-1275 instead of T-105 to gain some additional amp-hour capacity. Should I expect either of these choices to last for about the same number of 50% discharge/charge cycles? Also, it seems that a pair the 12v in parallel with likely have half internal resistance than a pair of 6v in series. I'm guessing the pair of 12v would do better running an inverter with a 1000 watt load.

To the first question: Number of charge/discharge cycles.. YES

To the second Internal resistance, NO

FOr any given type of battery the internal resistance of a new battery will be dependent on the battery system amp hours.
So if you put say 2 pair of GC-2 220 amp hour batteries (giving you a total package of 440 amp hours) you will have a specific internal resistance.

You do the same thing by paralleling 12 volt batteries, you will have nearly the identical internal resistance.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 T105's are 8 years old in full time RV service and are going strong. I know they are getting old, but when the time comes I will get 2 more. If it ain't broke......And if they died today their service has been excellent.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Scrubber batteries are designed for scrubbers and must compromise in some areas.

They will last roughly 70% of the cycles versus a T-105

They are built to pay homage to reserve capacity duty and not CCA nor the 20 amp hour rate. Medium rate discharge for a couple of hours. These batteries bow and pay homage to Peukert design concept. Narrow performance range because they have to be sized to squeeze into a scrubber.

They are acid starved. They sit on a charger after supermarket floors are scrubbed. from, say 4:00 AM to the following midnight so charging agility is not important.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
T-1275's are not the best choice for ease of maintenance, top charging, or equalize recharging. They require quite a bit more voltage, time and work to equalize recharge to a full 16.0V to desulfate.

Ask Mexicowanderer more about the details on these floor sweeper, scrubber, and sometimes golf cart batteries.

Unless you understand the limitations of these batteries, and are willing to go the distance to really get them fully recharged, GC-2's are a much better value, and much easier to top charge, maintenance recharge, and desulfate, due to the physical volume, plates, and electrolyte volume to lead plates dimensions.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always wanted to get the T-1275s mainly because they were 12V batteries but could never find any I could afford... Finally went down last week and picked up four Duracell 6V GC2s from local Battery Plus Store...

They look pretty neat setting in the back of truck bed with a blanket covering them up. I'm about to get serious now getting my 430AH battery bank going again... They were also marked down 15 percent so final cost for batteries was $89.75 each including sales tax for the 215AH 6V batteries. These were the SLIGC110 model batteries... weight 60.5LBS

These have the three fluid caps on a rail where you can twist open all three caps at same time to inspect for fluid levels... Neat...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS