cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

help with Water Heater

srink
Explorer
Explorer
have been running my water heater on electric (3 yr old 5th wheel) for last 2 weeks. all of a sudden, no hot water. put my meter on the element and tested good. still no hot water. had repair man stop. he check ohms and power and said its running. sure enough starting to get hot water again. was good all day yesterday, wake up this morning, no hot water.
have swithed over to gas and works fine. What's wrong with electric?
Condo on Wheels
4 REPLIES 4

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
That little toggle switch in the lower left hand corner of the heater is likely bad. Too small an amperage for the job and subject to moisture. I know that was my trouble, intermitant heating. I jumpered it out and use the curcuit breaker to turn it on and off.

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
You have a Suburban 10 gallon Electric and LP water heater.
Based upon my experience, I would remove the black plastic cover with the two rubber buttons that say reset.

On the left side is the electric thermostat and high temperature limit switch assembly. You will probably find that the lower terminal on the thermostat is burned and barely making contact.

If bad, replace the thermostat assembly. It is held to the tank with one nut. Remember to turn off the 120vac power before removing the thermostat assembly.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

srink
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I know very little other than it's a dometic 10 gal. model sw10 DE.
don't know if it operates on 2 different thermostats (gas & elec) or one.
Condo on Wheels

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need Make and Model to even hazard a guess. For example, if it's a Suburban, the LPG and 120VAC operation are separate to the point it might as well be an LPG heater and an electic heater sharing the same tank. OTOH, Atwood operates the two modes from a pretty much integrated control system. Give us the details and somebody can point you to some good troubleshooting.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB