cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HF Predator 3500 Generator - New Manual / Oil Intervals

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
First off... if you haven't "heard," this is an incredibly quiet machine. It's quite a bit quieter than the Honda EU 2000... and much quieter at load. Here's a good youtube comparison with what looks to be a pretty decent decibel meter on a tripod.

*EDIT* And here's another video that shows the unit drops to near ambient at the rated 23', 1/4 load.

That said, this is not an endorsement. Just info. Do your own due diligence.

Now to the topic...

Just noticed they appear to have updated the manual that can be found on the Predator's product page. No longer does it say to change the oil every 8 hours... which... of course... many of us thought had to be a typo or translation issue.

Both the manual mine came with and the one I had downloaded earlier said to change the oil every 8 hours.

The Current Manual says every 6 months or 100 hours. Much more logical.

BUT... do consider the break-in. The new manual says to run it no harder than 75% for the first 30 hours and then change the oil. Some guys like to do just one hour... change the oil... then, maybe another 8 hours and then add some synthetic. Either way, there is likely to be some shiny metal in the first oil change, at least. It's generally considered a bad idea to run the unit too long in this condition.

*EDIT* This thread has taken a bit of an unintended tack. I hail from a MH / Onan background. The chief intention was to apprise those already aware of this unit of a change in the owner's manual. It now appears there are fewer aware of this new unit than unaware.

My intention is not to talk you into buying this thing. I could care less. But I think it's worth a look, at least. Do your research. The few negative reports I've seen appear to be carb related. A fuel filter would be a welcome addition.

As I state in a reply below, this thing is pretty new to market... and the manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days. Anyone considering a purchase may also be wise to consider the 2 year, refund, no-questions-asked, extended plan for $129 (at last check.) And rumor has it, you may be able to get a further discount off the unit... just for playing coy about opting in for the warranty. Worth a shot.
Cheers,
Kendall
16 REPLIES 16

Nwimpression
Explorer
Explorer

Just purchased one today, May 2, 2024 and I will tell you that the one year extended warranty was $229 so what was quoted earlier in the last paragraph of $129 for two years, that ship is sailed. 

Your replying to a topic that was posted 7 years ago, several of those years had record high inflation, of course that shipped sailed.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GCasta
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Honda Eu2000i's that are about 8 years old. These have been run pretty hard at times, such as runing non-stop fours days straight on a regular basis and have never had any issues.
That said, recently purchased the Predator 3500 and have about 35 hours on it now, 22 of that running non-stop. By my ears it does run quieter than the Honda and also has had no issues yet. The electric start and digital meter that show run hours voltage and amperage is nice to. If the durability is anywhere close to the Honda will be extremely happy with purchase since it is cheaper than a single Honda and more power.
Maybe I can come back here and 8 years and give a long term report. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW
2014 Montana Mountaineer 331 RLT
2016 Lance 850

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Good greif, here we go again with the Honda is best propaganda...

BTW, mu Champion is running just fine thank you.

Honda might be best, but it's also the most expensive so no mystery if it is the best and longest lasting. My 13 year old Honda EU2000 still runs like new after heavy use all those years.

Having said that, if I was going bigger, I'd probably go Champion. My daughter just bought the Champ 3400 with electric start for $999 with free shipping and no tax, about half the cost of Honda. The Champion line seems to be a great value for the money with available parts and good customer support.

HF gennys might prove to be good too, time will tell.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The videos are impressive thus far and the sound produced by the HF Predator is no doubt very quiet for the amount of wattage delivered. Then the price is incredibly economical, which is hard to believe with all that you get, love all the info provided with the onboard digital display. Hope it's a winner.

I might consider the HF Predator genny if they prove to be reliable long term, and they come out with a remote start version. Just to babied with our Onan, and recently with our Champion 3100 with remote start to have anything other than one button simplicity when starting/stopping genny from within our rig.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Further research indicates this generator is made by Loncin. Northern Tools may have a version also

http://www.loncinindustries.com/en/engine/ProductDetail.aspx?catid=8-15-17-44-2146789930#proFlag

Latest research also indicates there could be faulty builds from July.
Cheers,
Kendall

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
FWIW, the Predator 3500 has good reviews on the HF website.
Maybe they came up with a decent generator?

Perhaps. As I stated above, it's new to the market. When it comes to reliability, only time can tell.

I'd consider the extended warranty. Lot's of electronics in this thing.
Cheers,
Kendall

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Fisherman wrote:
Don't know where that info comes from, the HF manual says 57dB @ 23 feet 1/4 load, a Honda EU 2000 says 53 dB at same distance/load.

It comes from owning the Predator... my father owning 2 - Honda 2000i units and the compelling youtube video I provided... which shows the Predator to be 3 to 4 dB lower at idle and 6 to 7 dB quieter with the load. Decibels being a logarithmic measurement, 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 should qualify as "quite a bit" and "much" quieter respectively, though I have no desire to quibble. Let your own ears be the judge. But I certainly know which generator I'd rather see in the campsite next door.

Fisherman wrote:
A Honda eu 3000 is only 49 dB at that distance/load.

Per Honda's specs, perhaps?

It appears you may have begun to reply, then watched the video... then shifted to compare the Honda 3000. Of course I made no claim in regard to the 3000, but your shift is not entirely unreasonable.

Here's another Predator video that shows the decibel meter drops to near ambient at the rated 23', 1/4 load, i.e. virtually silent.

Fisherman wrote:
Secondly lets compare apples to apples, a 2K will definitely make more noise running a hair dryer than a 3k.

Perhaps. I really don't care. I'm not some shill for Predator nor HF. Just sharing information with my fellow RV brethren. You're welcome.

In fact, I think it's clear that the unit is new to the market and therefore untested for long-term reliability. Also, the warranty is only 90 days. No one should need me to tell them to consider an extended warranty for this rig. I believe it may be a straight exchange policy, i.e. they'd rather give you a new one over trying to fix your old one. Doesn't sound too shabby to me. From my experience, HF is generally good in this regard... probably because they're experienced at taking returns... and have plenty of profit margin to do so and survive... for decades.

This thread was less to tout the unit than it was to share the oil change interval update with those who were already aware this unit existed, hence the subject heading.

As of yet, I have not seen a decibel comparison between the the Honda 3000 and the Predator, though I would gladly tune in if you posted one.
Cheers,
Kendall

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Quite a bit quieter than a Honda EU2000? If true, that's a big accomplishment.

The youtube video is pretty compelling... as are the HF reviews and the growing list of reviews across the interwebs. The URL was correct if you wanted to copy and paste it, but I've fixed the link to make it easier now, if you're interested. Also added another video to the OP.
Cheers,
Kendall

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the Predator 3500 has good reviews on the HF website.
Maybe they came up with a decent generator?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

You must have painted it red:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
KendallP wrote:
First off... if you haven't "heard," this is an incredibly quiet machine. It's quite a bit quieter than the Honda EU 2000... and much quieter at load. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQt4krPAgA with what looks to be a pretty decent decibel meter on a tripod.

Just noticed they appear to have updated the manual that can be found on the Predator's product page. No longer does it say to change the oil every 8 hours... which... of course... many of us thought had to be a typo or translation issue.

Both the manual mine came with and the one I had downloaded earlier said every 8 hours.

The Current Manual says every 6 months or 100 hours. Much more logical.

Don't know where that info comes from, the HF manual says 57dB @ 23 feet 1/4 load, a Honda EU 2000 says 53 dB at same distance/load. A Honda eu 3000 is only 49 dB at that distance/load.
Secondly lets compare apples to apples, a 2K will definitely make more noise running a hair dryer than a 3k.