cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000 start issue

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda 2000 which I have had for over 5 years has developed a start issue when cold and high elevation 7000 ft. it has always ran great up there. When it's level starts and runs for like 20 seconds then shuts off like I hit the off switch, wait 10 seconds starts right up, this goes on for about 10 starts then it will keep running, no load, have tried turning off eco switch, does not work; for whatever reason I tilted it about 30 degrees off level away from starter side and it will keep running on the 1st pull, hold it that way until it warms up and it's fine but it I set it back to level again before it warms up it shuts off again. Oil level is full, gas full, fuel pump is new, any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy way to find out. Remove the sensor wires and short them to each other. If it starts and runs, it's the sensor.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
The oil sensor is the only thing that makes sense because if it was a dirty carb it would do it all the time not just when cold like below 55 degrees, it does not act like fuel starvation, just like turning off the switch.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
If the low oil sender switch is defective, it won't start at all.

Not necessarily. The oil level will drop when the engine is started. There's also vibration present that can effect that kind of switch.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Mine just did similar this weekend but I had it sitting off-level. The "Oil Alert" warning light came on - I just failed to notice it the first couple of times. Leveled it up and all was well after that.

I do see a number of google hits on "Honda EU200i low oil" that include troubleshooting and/or bypassing the sensor.

Good luck!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

hugemoth
Explorer
Explorer
Can't you unplug the low oil sensor to verify it is or isn't the problem?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the low oil sender switch is defective, it won't start at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me like you have float issues (junk in the bowl) and the carb needs removed and cleaned out.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I use a fuel additive Schaeffer's Nutra which I have found superior to Sea Foam thru my own carb cleaning test ( took 2 dirty carbs soaked in each product straight, Nutra won) plus I add StaBil as soon as I buy the fuel, I have also suspected the oil level switch, where is it located?

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Try running Sea Foam in it. I know that it doesn't seem like it when you pay for it but this gas today is worth nothing. Stay with the brand names in high test. Cheaper gas is cheap for a reason. it dose not have the additives as the name brands.
Dennis Hoppert

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm wondering if the low oil shutdown switch is starting to act up....

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
How often does it set not being used could cause this?, I recommend a fuel additive like SeaFoam be added to each fillup, 1oz. each fillup will keep the carb and other internal components from gumming up.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
It may need an ounce or two though you see full.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret