cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU200i issue

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
I've had an intermittent problem with my Honda EU200i. It's happened since new but couldn't reproduce the problem. Finally, this fall we were camping in the mountains of Idaho. When the temperature dropped below 45 degrees outside during the evening, I had troubles getting the generator started in the morning. I would go through the normal startup procedure but it would only run for about 5 - 10 seconds then the Oil Alert Indicator would come on and it would shut off. I would repeat the process 2 or 3 times until it would start and run normal. Oil level is normal. My question is whether others have experienced a similar behavior and what to do to resolve the issue? It's time to change the oil this fall and was wondering if a different blend of oil may resolve the issue? Thanks in advance.

Jeff.
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---
12 REPLIES 12

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Castrol 0w-30 German, for cold weather (0-50F) in Honda Eu series generators.

I had Castrol "made in Germany" PAO 0w-30 in my Honda Generator up in Montana on Sept 11, 2014, and the temps were down to 17F in the morning when my Eu2000i started right up, first pull. Steam was coming out the pipes for exhaust that morning, whole time the motor was charging my battery.

If you know you'll be in real cold, switch to a true full synthetic 0w-30 for that trip, if it's important to you.

I almost always start it up on ecothrottle, and let it warm up 2,3 ,4 minutes before putting the motor under load.

Cold engine parts need time to warm up gently, expand, and take up the tolerances in the motor that the cold temps exacerbate, due to differences in expansion rates... aluminum shrinks more than steel in cold temps. Your piston is aluminum, your bore in an Eu2000i, is steel, so take it easy on the motor, let it warm up, since it's air cooled, before working it hard.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jstaffon wrote:
I've had an intermittent problem with my Honda EU200i. It's happened since new but couldn't reproduce the problem. Finally, this fall we were camping in the mountains of Idaho. When the temperature dropped below 45 degrees outside during the evening, I had troubles getting the generator started in the morning. I would go through the normal startup procedure but it would only run for about 5 - 10 seconds then the Oil Alert Indicator would come on and it would shut off. I would repeat the process 2 or 3 times until it would start and run normal. Oil level is normal. My question is whether others have experienced a similar behavior and what to do to resolve the issue? It's time to change the oil this fall and was wondering if a different blend of oil may resolve the issue? Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

AFAIK it is very common. and different oil doesn't solve the problem at real low temps. Lighter oil will help down below freezing. Tried 5W-30 synthetic and had the same problem down around 0 as the std oil, but it helped in the 40F range. Virtually everyone I know, including myself, has this problem with the honda 1000 and honda 2000 when temps get below about 45 degrees.

what can help is to keep it on eco throttle for a few minutes and don't put a load on it for a few minutes. That doesn't eliminate the problem but eliminates one or more "restarts".
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Has this issue and fixed it some time back. It has never repeated. Cleaned and flushed tank with brake clean. Shot it in with a small tube from the hardware store. Added a bit of new oil to clean it and finally and dumped it. Then began using 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. Problem solved never to return. Just fired it up at a cool 33 degrees. One pull on a ten year old Honda eu2000.
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Had exact same problem in early spring in Vermont. 34 degrees and cold thick oil fooled the low oil indicator and shut gen off after running a few seconds. On the 5th or 6th pull it finally ran fine. There are instructions on the Internet on how to add a switch to disable this function until generator comes up to temperature.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
arto_wa wrote:

Are you saying they have a pressurized lubrication system :h

No, I am not saying pressurized oil system. I am only saying that whatever signal system (pressure, optical, float) Honda uses is not seeing solid oil. When you have this problem, immediately after it shuts down, dump out some oil and you will see that it is very foamy (aerated).

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It'll cool down to the high 70's at dawn soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Yes, I do have some starting issues when cold, so I stay away from cold!

True, and I had that problem one time in Death Valley in the winter, but the temp was more like 20 degrees. Hard to start in very cold temps is known issues with these gennys.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at the coast during the fall and winter, always cool down into the mid 40s at night. I have found that running Fresh 91 octane helps, Starts easy and runs consistently. I also use 10-30 Mobile one synthetic.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I do have some starting issues when cold, so I stay away from cold!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Homeless by Choice wrote:
Jeff,

I had the same problem. The stiff oil was aerating (full of air bubbles) which causes the oil pressure to be very low. LeRoy

Are you saying they have a pressurized lubrication system :h
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

jstaffon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks LeRoy, I was hoping someone saw similar problems. I was also hoping a different oil would resolve. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali, Duramax
2016 Forest River Rockwood 8299BS

Jeff
Idaho Falls, Idaho
---

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff,

I had the same problem. The stiff oil was aerating (full of air bubbles) which causes the oil pressure to be very low. The "Oil Alert" lite comes on and immediately shuts off the gen set. I changed to 5W30 oil and that instantly solved the problem. Per the owners manual:

SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general, all-temperature use. Other
viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average
temperature in your area is within the indicated range.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side