cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up 30A at home

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
I'd really like to be able to run the AC on my rig when I've got it parked outside the house before we take off on a trip. The 110V house supply isn't enough but I do have a 220V / 30A outlet in the garage which is a 14-30 outlet.

I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter. 14-50 to TT-30 yes. Is this even possible (assuming that the 14-50 converter just splits 220/50 into 2 x 110/25) or am I looking at wiring in a new circuit?
44 REPLIES 44

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Dryers are 120/240! NEC revised code numerous years ago to require four wire circuit. Early dryers used the ground as neutral.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
coolmom42 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
coolmom,

Driers may be 240 volts. Be extremely careful.

Yep.

Probably not the best idea. If I did it I would double check behind the electrician. Not a trusting person here!

I'll probably just get a separate circuit run, since the breaker box is a few feet from the dryer, and plenty of room in the breaker box. But will also double-check behind the electrician. ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks for the warning.

Coolmom2,

If you are running new wire--I'd go to 50 amp (i.e. 4 wires), and then just use 30 of it for now.

The labor is the same, the wire is not much more expensive and so long as there is room in the breaker box you will be golden.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could use the receptacle for the clothes washer. It should be a dedicated non-GFCI protected 20 amp circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Why do you say the house current isn't enough? I run a 50/30/15 adapter and plug it into an exterior house outlet. As long as I am careful to run one AC only, no problem. Seems like this is more complicated than it needs to be unless I am missing something.

House loads on that circuit. He not only has to count RV loads, he has to count house loads too.

I get that, but there is usually one circuit - like the outside receptacles that are isolated to the same circuit. And of course you can always monitor what's on the circuit. This just seems like it's being overly complicated. I've owned 3 RV's in 2 houses over the past decade and have always been able to find an outlet to run the AC.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
I would get a replacement RV MALE 50 amp end and install the standard 30 amp shore cord extension.
The 14-30 connector has an L shaped neutral, 50a has a flat blade.

Correct. I forgot that. USE the standard Dryer 220 Replacement MALE end instead of the RV 50 amp Male end to do the job. This is a VERY SIMPLE/SAFE and low cost way to do what the OP wants. Doug

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Why do you say the house current isn't enough? I run a 50/30/15 adapter and plug it into an exterior house outlet. As long as I am careful to run one AC only, no problem. Seems like this is more complicated than it needs to be unless I am missing something.

House loads on that circuit. He not only has to count RV loads, he has to count house loads too.
Dryer circuit is virtually always a dedicated circuit.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
enblethen wrote:
A NEMA 14-30 is a 30 amp 120/240 device. A standard 50 amp cord body style adapter will not plug into it as the neutral pin is not long enough.
This configuration is used for a dryer. It is four wire, two hots, neutral and ground.
I would suggest if not being used any longer would be to change it out to a fifty amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle, then use a standard 50 amp to 30 amp RV adapter.
If receptacle is needed for some other device, add another box and install a standard 30 TT receptacle. Connect one led of the circuit, neutral and ground. Insure it is wired 120 volts.

Do THIS^^^^^^^
Simple swap of receptacles
And be done with it!

That's what I did as I had a gas dryer and didn't need the 220v receptacle. Just used one hot leg to wire my 30a receptacle
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
eldel wrote:
I'd really like to be able to run the AC on my rig when I've got it parked outside the house before we take off on a trip. The 110V house supply isn't enough but I do have a 220V / 30A outlet in the garage which is a 14-30 outlet.

I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter. 14-50 to TT-30 yes. Is this even possible (assuming that the 14-50 converter just splits 220/50 into 2 x 110/25) or am I looking at wiring in a new circuit?

Keep in mind your 30 amp for your trailer is only 120 volt NOT 240, if you connect your trailer to that wielder outlet you will fry most electric items in your trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
EV owners use dryer plugs all the time. They use 14-30 to 14-50 adapters. You could do that and then just use a standard 14-50 to TT30 adapter. Then just plug your trailer into that. Eazy peazy.

We keep a 14-30 to 14-50 in the car all the time as our mobile EVSE has a 14-50 end. Think we got it at https://www.evseadapters.com

Cheers.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Such a simple circuit to run, I can't imagine all the discussion when a new wire can be run from the panel to a new outlet and have an excellent solution.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
coolmom,

Yep.

Probably not the best idea. If I did it I would double check behind the electrician. Not a trusting person here!

I'll probably just get a separate circuit run, since the breaker box is a few feet from the dryer, and plenty of room in the breaker box. But will also double-check behind the electrician. ๐Ÿ˜„

Thanks for the warning.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
coolmom,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Find a male plug for the outlet. Find a female outlet for the RV. Make your own dog bone adapter. Check the voltage before plugging in the RV.
Regards, Don