Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water heater not working

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
My hot water heater is being a pain.

I bought the trailer 2 years ago. First season, I left the hot water heater isolated. This season, I decided to bring it back in service.

First issue, the isolation valve was seized. It is now replaced and water flows through the system.

New issue - The pilot light will ignite. However, when the burner is turned to on, it does not light the main burner. However, if I take my good ole BBQ lighter and light the burner, it will light, but it is a small flame, and may even go out.

Before bringing it into a propane tech, what can I look for that may be causing it?
7 REPLIES 7

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
That's because there is no reason to heat hot water. I myself just have a water heater.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
No spiders, just rust and dust and dirt collecting where it shouldn't.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like your system is Buggy. and by Buggy I specifically mean a spider. This spider likes the smell of Propane and/or natural gas and will build its nest in the burner oriface. Cleaning same often fixes the problem you describe.

THERE ARE.. HOWEVER.. .OTHER CAUSES

One is the excess flow valve on your tank.> Does the Furnace work. Stove top work (All burners lit) if so then this valve is likely NOT your problem .. If not. then it likely IS.. To reset make yourelf a cup of coffee (May need to use and electric or campfire pot for that) turn off gas at the tank. Enjoy the coffee. SLOWLY turn the gas back on If you hear gas flowing STOP when you no longer hear it continue. till the valve is full open.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
So, I fixed my hot water heater.

It is becoming a common issue with my trailer.... It needed a cleaning. After blowing out the outside area, I turned the gas on, lit the pilot, and turned it to on and the main burner lit.

So, next problem... I will just try cleaning it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pilot flame MUST engulf thermocouple so it heats up
Thermocouple when heated generates millivolts (12mv minimum) to hold gas control magnet OPEN so gas can flow

Dirty gas orifice...unscrew from gas control and soak in alcohol then blow dry (just blow on it ...no poking/no high air pressure)
Burner tube not 'aligned'...gas needs to flow thru center of tube/not bouncing down sidewall otherwise gas will not mix properly with air
Weak magnet.....replace gas control
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Clogged orifice in main burner. Remove and soak in alcohol. Very small hole, do not use anything to clear it, except air pressure.
Burner tube clogged, remove and clean.
Bad thermal couple will not allow pilot to remain lit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pressure regulator can create low gas flow. Bad thermalcouple can cause no burn. What brand and model water heater?