cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House batteries and alternator

AllenT1946
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I need your help. When it comes to electrical issues, I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandalier.I have a '07 monaco and I was told that the house batteries should be charging from the alternator while I'm driving. Mine does not. Is the alternator supposed to charge the house batts or not? If it is, then what could my problem be? If their not, then how can I make them charge that way?
Allen
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
What is needed is a pictorial page showing what these components LOOK LIKE. Maybe the webmaster would go for creating such a page, maybe not. An image with a description below.

Look for this part

Look for that part

Under the hood. Under the dash. In the battery compartment. But some folks are not aware of basic safety protocol. So this must be considered as well.

That page already exists, its called Google Images.

Hmmm,

Google SOLENOID. GOOGLE IMAGE anything unfamilar. Prepare to go nuts.

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
It could be a simple as a tripped breaker. There should be a breaker (or fuse) somewhere in the wire from the battery separator (solenoid or diode isolator) to the house battery. If it is tripped there was something that caused it so that needs to be investigated.

GordonH
Explorer
Explorer
I've had problems with engine batteries not charging. Two new alternators installed over two years, better, but the problem happened again in October. Cummins in Brandon MB fixed the problem, I hope. The mechanic thoroughly cleaned all terminals on the alternator plus spent some time cleaning the alternator earth connection. Everything functioned as it should and 1500 miles later an erratic tachometer now functions normally.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
What is needed is a pictorial page showing what these components LOOK LIKE. Maybe the webmaster would go for creating such a page, maybe not. An image with a description below.

Look for this part

Look for that part

Under the hood. Under the dash. In the battery compartment. But some folks are not aware of basic safety protocol. So this must be considered as well.

That page already exists, its called Google Images.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
First check that the chassis battery is charging with your voltmeter, you should read 13.2V+, engine running power plug unpluged. Look for the solenoid by tracing the wires from both battery banks. Check the big terminals with the engine off and power plug out, both should have voltage. Next check the small terminal (one is ground) for voltage with the engine running, power plug out. If you have voltage everywhere then that suggests a bad solenoid.

Both of my Monacos had Intellitec solenoids which failed in about 2 years. None of my Intellitec products seem to be good quality. Both of my Monacos had electronics that activated the solenoid depending upon battery voltage and/or which bank was being charged. Other rigs use the ignition switch to activate the solenoid.

BTW If you have solar disconnect it before checking the above and gen off.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
The solenoid in mine looks like this. The 2 large terminals connect to the batteries. The smaller terminals control the solenoid, one is ground and the other is connected to the ignition switch.

Mine is located near the chassis battery and has a 50A fuse in the wire to the chassis battery. Yours could be anywhere???
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Look for this part

Look for that part

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the chassis battery is charging, I would vote for a bad solenoid. If the chassis battery is not charging, I would vote for a bad alternator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Start with the chassis owner's manual. Look for references to charging batteries.

My unit came with a 60 amp fuse. After the 2nd time it blew I had it replaced with an auto reset 50 amp circuit breaker.

A year after that the OEM charging solenoid (conveniently located under the chassis battery (grrrrr)) had burned contacts. I had it replaced with a much heavier duty one.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

AllenT1946
Explorer
Explorer
I tested my batteries with a volt meter with the engine off and again with the engine running, no difference in voltage. I wouldn't know where to start to track down the problem.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The problem may be as simple as a blown fuse, or it may be a solenoid with burned contacts, or a break in the charging wire
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Your house batteries should charge as you drive. Start your engine and put a volt meter on the battery leads. Your voltage should drop when the motor is turned off. If not there is a problem. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)