cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't get Shurflo pump to prime

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my rig back from the body shop. They had to empty and pull the fresh water tank to make repairs to the utility compartment and door. I filled the tank but cannot get water to flow. Pump is a 2088 and supposed to be self priming. Any ideas or advice? I know I can take it back to the shop but they already took 5 months on the body work. Hate to leave it there again as we have a trip planned.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
11 REPLIES 11

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Are all the water control valves in the right positions and the water line from the tank to the pump hooked up.

Thanks everyone. Bob/Olallawa hit the nail on the head. One of the valve handles in the utility compartment was put back on in the wrong position. I was going to try various configurations to see if that was the problem and hit it first try. I still think I didn't get the connection I rejoined tight enough but, the pump cycled off so, I'm a "happy camper." Thanks again to all......
Bev& Keith

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try all of the above suggestions but also try opening ALL of the faucets at the same time. If you have a winterizing kit switch over to the winterizing hose and try to pour water into the end of the hose held as high as possible. (I know it is a small opening)
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
If your going to purchase a rebuilt kit don't get the 20 dollar kit, get the kit that also includes the pressure switch rebuild kit.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
A Shureflo 2088 pump rebuild kit is right around 20 bucks...I can do it in about 15 minutes and it's good for at least another 5 years or more.

HERE Install a suction side screen to keep debris out of the pump.
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure the twist lock strainer is indeed twist locked. It can be sort of in place but not really.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If any line/fitting/valve on suction side of pump is not tight or is cracked the pump will not prime due to sucking air
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Are all the water control valves in the right positions and the water line from the tank to the pump hooked up.

Good questions...not sure. I was able to feel a disconnected line and tried to reconnect. Not sure if it is tight. They apparently pulled the cover from the utility panel and had to remove the valve handles to do so. The valves were in the right places when I filled the tank. Haven't been brave enough to pull the panel myself yet. Getting there though.
Bev& Keith

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same problem for the first trip each year. Try opening the kitchen faucet and sucking hard on the end for a second or two while the pump is running. That draws the water into the pump and it starts right up.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Keith,

Try closing all the faucets, turn on the pump and open the faucets one at a time, hot and cold, including the outside shower if you have one. This should blead out the air in the lines and eventually water should begin to flow again. That of course assumes that your pump is still in fact pumping water.

Hope this helps.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I accidentally left our pump on once. I think it was running for 4 or 5 days. I couldn't get it to prime after that. I never really figured out what I exactly did to get it working again, but all I really did was turn it on for a few minutes, then off again. Rinse, lather, repeat. I think after about a half hour of fooling around with it, it started working. That was probably on the second day after I discovered the pump had been left on with no water in the tank.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)