cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'll never do that again

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 years of RVing, and just when I think I am getting the hang of it, another lesson is learned the hard way.

I am in the process of putting the TT away for the winter. So I am pulling the anode rod to drain the water heater. I disconnect the city water hose to releive pressure and proceed to unscrew the anode. Suddenly, the anode rod launches out of the WH under pressure and a sustained blast of water crashes into my face. If my sons had seen it, I would be the deserving recepient of a lifetime of ridicule. Lucky I did not have the water heater turned on. Or the embarrasment could have turned more serious.

So removing the city water hose DOES NOT releive pressure. You have to open the faucets inside the rig. But I guess all of you already knew that. I guess I did too. But it is so easy to forget even important steps on these rigs. This is one step I will not forget again. File under "stupid"
2011 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
2004 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4.10
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2
28 REPLIES 28

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
One good thing about the way you did it was you didn't have to rinse and flush much because it did it all by itself in a second. Ask me how I know.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
I take a certian level of pride in being a pioneer of mistakes no one else thought of. But you win this round my friend. Laugh, live and learn. Thanks for sharing

lol.
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water heater has a cushion of air at the top, acts like an "Accumulator" type pressure tank.. Also, some rigs have an Accumulator type pressure tank.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I take a certian level of pride in being a pioneer of mistakes no one else thought of. But you win this round my friend. Laugh, live and learn. Thanks for sharing
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson learned. We all have had these adventures.

As long as there was no blood, you are good to go.

Hint: When these things happen, always look around to see whom might be witnesses. ๐Ÿ™‚
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, did the same the very first time I did it. Actually learned a lesson that I remember. Now I always lift the pressure relief valve first. Then loosen the anode rod and leave the socket and extension on it as I finish loosening it to the point it starts to come out. And hold the extension as I slowly ease the anode rod out and let the water start to come out.

travisej
Explorer
Explorer
Buddy of mine went to take the drain plug out without releaving the pressure. He never did find the plug after it blew out.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've done the same thing. Sure wakes you up!

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You are not alone. I wish the manufacturers of these water heaters would put in a low level drain cock. It really could serve two situations: 1) relieve pressure to remove anode and 2) drain water from the tank for times when heater is not being used.

js6343js6343
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah. The relief valve thats right in front of my face. I knew that.
Reese dual cam WDH
Tekonsha Prodigy 2

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I also empty the hot water lines first with the valve open so there is no water in the hot water heater. I always thought that even just having water in there could cause it to push the rod out.

Don___Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
On our Arctic Fox, there is a small relief valve about a foot above the anode. I lift up on the relief valve when I am ready to empty the water heater and water comes out. It releases the pressure.

I also use the relief valve to release the air so the water heater can fill all the way up.
Don & Carolyn

2006 Dodge 2500 diesel 6 speed
17' Casita Independence Deluxe

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Awwww, what's 40 psi between friends?

I haven't done that (yet) but I have removed the anode rod when the water was still a little hotter than it should've been.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Or, maybe you could try releasing the pressure relief valve by flipping the little lever.

Glad you were not hurt. Seems like everyone does this once. Don't let it get to you.

Oh...And if you think now that you've done that....Now you know it all. You probably don't.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.