Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want one!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi All,

500 mile range loaded to 80,000 pounds. 30 minutes to recharge to 400 mile range. It may be self driving, too.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1113863_tesla-semi-500-mile-range-lower-running-costs-than-dies...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
135 REPLIES 135

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
burningman wrote:
That 500 mike range is in fantasy-land.
Try lugging a heavy truck up and down hills in heavy traffic and see if you get anywhere close to that mythical ideal steady state level ground BS.
Actually range should increase with heavy traffic.
And hills don't kill range too bad as long as you come back down.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™m trying to use an EZ-Bake oven but these **** newfangled LED lightbulbs suck...

:B:B:B:B

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
mikim wrote:
Tesla just announced that the electric truck will be in the price range of $150,000 to $200,000. They are expecting significant reduction in the cost of the batteries. They are planning on having a 1MWh battery to get the 500 mile range.

Its actually catching on pretty quick now. Ryder just bought a bunch of short hall trucks from Chanje with more to come next year. They will buy them from China till they can get the Assembly plant up an running in LA. Parts will come from china and be assembled here. Ryder has also reserved some of the Tesla medium and long haul Semis along with Walmart and at least two other small supermarket chains.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ryder-chanje-20170814-story.html

China will be the leader in this arena but I think Tesla has a shot at the long haul advantage at this point. I think you'll see europe totally switch to electric short medium and long haul in the next decade.

On the personal car side, Britain just put a chunk of money into 13000 more charge stations in the next few years which doubles the 13000 they have. Shell oil is starting to add DC fast chargers to many of their stations as well. This is important because presently their are only 820 fast charge stations of 50 KW or more. Nobody likes to sit at a level two charger when on a road trip.

The best coverage still comes with Tesla though. And that will make a difference for people if they are buying an EV for long range trips. Here is their new 40 stall site in Kettleman California. These are smaller than the 50 stall sites in China but you get the idea. Neat video. I like this guy. He has a few interesting videos out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wkc7PUSyR0
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
That 500 mike range is in fantasy-land.
Try lugging a heavy truck up and down hills in heavy traffic and see if you get anywhere close to that mythical ideal steady state level ground BS.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
Tesla just announced that the electric truck will be in the price range of $150,000 to $200,000. They are expecting significant reduction in the cost of the batteries. They are planning on having a 1MWh battery to get the 500 mile range.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I look at things this way, the tried-and-true B.S. meter polygraph.

The true green-awareness individual audits their own personal carbon footprint. Until they actual do this and are willing to open source their honest size footprint to those that inquire, they need to keep their mouth shut about how others shall live.

This does not impugn people who have wealth and foolishly live a life of conspicuous consumption.

It is specifically about idiots who have no clue and demand that I, a person who consumes one-tenth the carbon they do, live according to their rules which does absolutely zero for helping the environment yet makes my life considerably more expensive.

Corruption Incorporated, the country to the south of you, encourages green living by making basic electrical costs extremely affordable. Basic power amounting to 125 kWh per month, costs about twelve dollars ninety cents. They are also extremely strict about insuring multiple service drops do not feed the same residence. A savvy tech comes out and audits the service drop when new service is ordered. If these guys have a price it is beyond reason to try and corrupt them.

Why doesn't YOUR STATE exempt solar panels or solar panels with batteries and inverter from state and local sales tax.....hmmmmm?

Why doesn't YOUR STATE offer drastically reduced purchase-price taxes and yearly license fees for inexpensive model sub compacts that get exceptionally good fuel economy.....hmmmmmm? One per household.

Why doesn't YOUR STATE offer tax-free privileges for sales of home insulation......hmmmmm? Why not offer professional installation companies substantial tax breaks?

This entire thread I have not demeaned electric automobiles. I have challenged their feasibility sans rational plans to make them the optimum choice for the way Californians drive and live. WHEN * ELECTRIC * CARS * ARE * MANDATED * BY * GOVERNMENT

My take on this closely parallels that of a one-time presidential aspirant who cloaks himself in a phony guise and by stated policy wishes to further damage an utterly basic lifestyle while he purchases beach mansions despite rising sea levels and had a mansion that consumes one thousand one hundred and eleven times as much power as I do...

MOONBEAM lives in a government mansion. But extreme pains are taken to HIDE the energy consumption of this structure. MOONBEAM rides in a limousine, and charters jets for travel.

It's not just him, we have an entire regiment of hypocritical legislators living in one of the most energy intensive environments known to mankind - Washington DC. Like I wrote earlier. Visit the offices of the environmental wackos. See office temperatures in the 70's with heaters going beneath the desk of secretaries to keep their legs warm when outside is a steam bath.

The wackos want to take away your RV. Pound it into your skull if you have to. They will legislate. They will tax owners into submission. And consume 30,000 kWh hours monthly that you pay for, every month.

The catch-phrase is "Drain The Swamp"

It should be "Drain The Inland Sea". The hypocrisy is sickening. And I exclude NO ONE in Washington and all 50 state capitols from this accusation. Federal Agencies, State and local government...it's like a preacher damning a congregation for not forking over more for the collection basket (so he can upgrade his vacation hotel room in Miami Beach).

When you see lips move on your idiot box and make noises how YOU are responsible for paying more for global warming and pollution, it is time to go in and audit that individual's life style.

Pollution. Yeah. Because MOONBEAM hasn't got a clue as to how to restructure the state PUC so to monitor utilities and prevent Burlingame, and the wine country fires. Enough pollution was created to overwhelm California efforts for the next 50 years.

I am done with this subject. Maybe in days to come I will get my appetite back. Hypocrisy sickens me. Hypocrisy that threatens my knife edge existence enrages me.

PTUI! I Quit this thread. Sorry.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m trying to use an EZ-Bake oven but these **** newfangled LED lightbulbs suck...

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Musk detractors disappointed again

I find discussion of the technological or financial advantages or lack thereof stimulating. Politics, not so much. There's a whole world outside the orbit of Sacramento, and it's investing in renewables and low / zero emissions in a big way.

Happy thanksgiving, everyone! Will you cook your meal in an electric oven, or use IC? :B

I'm using a wood burning smoker. But it's a hybrid, with digital controls.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"My Sony Betamax still works?"

One of those times that proves popular opinion can be wrong. The Betamax was a superior format compared to VHS, but marketing killed it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
The fact of the matter is that naysayers are sometimes correct. I still haven't seen the personal helicopters, and jet packs that were supposed to be ubiquitous by the late 20th century, although the self-driving autos are making an appearance, albeit a few decades late. No colonies on the moon, or broadcast power, as was forecast. The huge space stations and tours to the moon are more than a few decades from reality.

Dirigibles and blimps, which were the airships of the future, have come and gone. Sometimes healthy skepticism keeps the Charles Ponzi's of the world having to work for a living.

My Sony Betamax still works?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
MEX, solar will soon be coming to Mexico at 1.77 cents per kWh.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/mexico-auction-bids-lowest-solar-wind-price-on-the-plan...

When I visit a Wells Fargo branch north of the border I read the commodities page and see beef for cents per pound, corn for a few dollars per ton, and so on...

Trouble is that price exists in another dimension. Comision Federal de Electricidad rates keep creeping up. My last utility bill specified my 128 kWh for 2-months cost the utility (seventy three dollars) to manufacture.

Burn 500 kWh in 60 days you will be billed around (two hundred fifty dollars). Quick, now go run and see how much you used.

Electric cars will be in vogue down here the day after you gaze into the heavens and see the orbiting Mexican space station.

Electric car accommodations will "probably" take place in Mexico City and Monterrey. Outside those cities forget it. With electric cars will not have HOY NO CIRCULA driving days restrictions.

But sadly, crooks will look for expensive electric cars not to steal them but invite an involuntary occupant to spend time with them in the unique Mexican transmogrification of GO FUND ME.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Electric vehicles are coming. As a wrench turner back in the 70's I always thought I would be telling my Grandkids about ICE in their time. Looks like we'll need at least another generation.

Storage is important as is the power to get all those EV chargers zinging. The battery situation continues to improve and making the battery exchangeable might be a decent way to get range taken care of. As to utilities, I think we need to decentralize the grid and learn new manners of generation.

IMO, if the EV Tesla platform wasn't viable, I don't think we'd see Walmart and JB Hunt ordering trucks.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The electric motor technology is great. Battery technology is woefully inadequate. Thatโ€™s the problem.
Especially electric airplanes, where power to weight ratio is paramount!

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
The fact of the matter is that naysayers are sometimes correct. I still haven't seen the personal helicopters,

Oh, but there are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Helicycle

I have a friend that has one and ventriloquist Jeff Dunham has one.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic