cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for lifting AC unit to the top of a RV

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have two strong young people around to lift a replacement AC unit to the top of our RV. The roof is about 11' off the ground and the AC weighs 110lbs.

I do have a 6' high scaffolding to cut the height in half, but pretty sure two 70 year old guys (me and a buddy) could not "press" the 110 pounds 6' at a time.

I need your ideas of how to accomplish this task.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
41 REPLIES 41

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just found something called a Manual Material Lift rental from Home Depot. $40 for 4 hours or $60 for the day.

It will lift 450 lbs 12 feet and looks like its base can slide under the MH chassis for off loading the box.

The video shows it being loading into a van for transport. Weighs 200 lbs.

This may be my best solution to the question.

I will get installed and parts only quotes before deciding on the tactics.

Thanks to all who replied. Very creative.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Bite the bullet and pay to have it done. Not worth getting hurt over few bucks.

Probably the best suggestion, but where is the fun in that? :B
it often comes with a prescription for Vicodin
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

Probably the best suggestion, but where is the fun in that? :B
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
Having installed several in my younger days, I know that at 70 this would not be an undertaking I would want to attempt manually. If I were doing it I would try to locate a rental company who rents scissors lifts that has a parking lot where I could drive the motorhome to. Since you would not need to take the scissor lift anywhere you could probably rent it for one hour and place the AC on the roof. In our area you can rent one for about $95 for one hour. Probably a lot cheaper than the doctor bills.

That is doable for my situation. Thanks for the idea.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Is there anyone nearby with a forklift or back hoe?

Nope, just rental stores.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Take two pieces of plywood a little bigger than the ac I'd leave the ac in the box.
Make a platform with a right angle. Drill holes for ropes. Lean an extension ladder at an angle. Two guys on top pull it up with one guy underneath guiding it. Worked great.

Thank you, great idea.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anyone nearby with a forklift or back hoe?

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
How about a 11' drywall lift?

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take two pieces of plywood a little bigger than the ac I'd leave the ac in the box.
Make a platform with a right angle. Drill holes for ropes. Lean an extension ladder at an angle. Two guys on top pull it up with one guy underneath guiding it. Worked great.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having installed several in my younger days, I know that at 70 this would not be an undertaking I would want to attempt manually. If I were doing it I would try to locate a rental company who rents scissors lifts that has a parking lot where I could drive the motorhome to. Since you would not need to take the scissor lift anywhere you could probably rent it for one hour and place the AC on the roof. In our area you can rent one for about $95 for one hour. Probably a lot cheaper than the doctor bills.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slide it up an extension ladder, one fellow pushing, the other on top, pulling with a rope.

Jerry

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers