cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas on folding table storage

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we haul around with us a large folding table (8 ft long folding in half to 4', plastic, metal legs) that I use for food prep outside. We normally store it in the rear room on our 5er, but I find it a pain to walk it in and out each trip up and down the stairs, it is unwieldy.
I was thinking of either building a box inside the front basement that I could slide it into (and store stuff on top of, not hindering ability to get to the table easily), or... building some kind of storage shelf underneath the frame rear of the axles. Ideally I'm trying to limit any additional new weight to the basement, since I have some pretty heavy batteries there.
Has anyone built a similar kind of shelf? I guess maybe some wide angle iron bolted to frame with some cross arms for stability?
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter
11 REPLIES 11

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
My storage area is too small for my non folding table (6'). Used to carry inside on the bed but that meant that I had to unload it first thing when we got to site.

I tabbed up a "drawer" of sorts under my frame from side to side. Used old garage door rails. Drilled four holes in the table sides and inserted the garage door rollers. Mounted the garage door rails under the frame of the tt with slot angle. Used flat slot metal to cap each end. One end I used pins to hold the flat piece in place. Remove pins and slide the table out like a drawer.

I posted a write up and how to on it, but It's been a long time ago and it's been archived. Will do some more digging and see if I can find it. Probably been 4 years ago, maybe longer.

**edit - the search function on this site is HORRIBLE. However, I did a search function through google instead and found it in about 3 seconds. Here's my original write up:

Under frame table storage
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Why not just add some brackets or even velcro in the storage area? No need for building a box.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
Reason I use a table that big (I just remeasured it, isnโ€™t as big as I thought - folded it is 30โ€ x 38โ€) is I do some serious cooking and need the space - I canโ€™t imagine how anyone would get by with less ;).

The Cabela's Tables are rated for 70 lbs but are certainly much lighter, much easier to deal with than that folding table you currently have. Buy 2 if you need so much space. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a plastic 6 ft table, another that is mybe 5 ft and a little kid folding picinic table. I put all on the bottom of my front pass through storage. I too have thought about building a simple plywood separator to put tables under and chairs and such above, just haven't done it yet.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The trick with storage is often how it fits into the available space. In my case, I have two chairs and small side table tops and bottoms are X's with felt between that can be footstools, or even people stools too. I wanted them to be stored on edge to use minimal floor space and maximum vertical space. I used felt attached to the ceiling of the storage bin with two boards about 10 inches apart to make a vertical storage "bin" down to the floor, across the 10 inches and back up. Now I put the folding chairs into the bin first, then fit the other four pieces into the gaps.

Works just perfectly. I would suggest you look into finding the maximum vertical space you can fit into your storage and make tables the same way to fit into a vertical bin like I have.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Already have a smaller folding table 2x2. Reason I use a table that big (I just remeasured it, isnโ€™t as big as I thought - folded it is 30โ€ x 38โ€) is I do some serious cooking and need the space - I canโ€™t imagine how anyone would get by with less ;). It sits nicely against the trailer under the awning and next to the Camp Chef Pro 90 (3 burner camp stove). I donโ€™t find the folding tables that roll up to be as sturdy, but maybe that one is better, who knows, I had read through that thread. Plus, we already have the table which my wife uses for her business when not camping
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put my portable folding picnic table with two benches in the bed of the truck up against the cab when I had my fifth-wheel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a danger or 2 in this.

I store mine in the propane bay over the frame rails.

The danger....

RV died of a major oil leak. table got well oiled.. I wound up giving it away to a mechanic . (I still have a shorter table)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine going to all the trouble of building special storage for an unwieldy outside table when the simple solution is to just replace it with a light weight aluminum roll up table, as discussed in this thread.

If you need more space buy 2, 'though since I get by just fine with one that's just 28" x 28" I also find it hard to imagine why anyone needs a table measuring 4' x 8'. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eight foot folding table. Are you feeding an Army? Come to think of it our company cook didnโ€™t have one that long or wide for160 ground pounders when out in the field.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We have a couch in our RV and I just pulled it away from the wall a few inches in order to store a folding table behind it.