Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Initial back yard testing on magic heated carpets

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Here is the raw data

Test started at noon on Jan 23, 2014. Air temperature in the RV was well below freezing (-27 c, 16 f) when I picked it up from storage. I ran the generator to exercise it while I put on a new 50 amp Camco plug on my "break out box". After one hour running two radiant and one oil filled heater air temperatures was -8 c (17 f), inside the RV.

Temperature measurements were taken with my newest "toy" a point and shoot thermometer. I did attempt to aim at the same place each time.

When I started the test floor temperature was -13.8 (7 f)

one hour later

rugs at 6 c (42 f)floor at -8 c (17.6 f)

30 minutes later

rugs at 15 c (59 F) floor at -2 (28 f)

Temperature of floor under the rug 28 c (82 f)

30 minutes later

rugs at 27 c (80 f) floor at 2 (35 f)

Temperature of the floor under the rug 37 c (98 f)

30 minutes later

rugs at 33 c (91 f) floor at 5 c (41 f)

Temperature of the floor under the rug 47 c (116 f)

Clearly this is an improvement over what I had before. I'm happy with the heating potential. When I terminated the test, air temperature was 20 c (68 f). I was running 3 oil filled, one radiant and two fan heaters plus the rugs for a total demand of about 4700 watts.

It did warm up outside from the -27 c (16 f) to -4 c (25 f), but time to 20 C air temperature was at least two hours shorter than my last attempt at electric heating. The heaters started to cycle at about the 2 hour mark today. The freeze protection fan is cycling.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
11 REPLIES 11

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mr Wizard,

I'll try to get a measurement for you.

On the 83" and 80" x 21" total is 532 watts (less the converter for the battery bank--but 12 volt demand is less than 2 amps)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
what is the POWER DRAW in WATTS ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

They bill based on the size they cut down from. I have one 80" x 21", one 83" x 21", and one 39" x 24". My cost was about $635.00 plus shipping. Here is some pricing on standard sizes pricing for Magic Carpets

I chose indoor/outdoor because I can pressure wash it.

BoonHauler wrote:
Where do we find info on the pricing?
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mark,

Yes, I reached 20 C air temperature more or less two hour sooner--starting from -27 vs -31. It is true that it warmed up a lot outside today--but I also was lazy about blocking off the cab area. I was using 4700 watts, and last time got up about 1000 watts more.

I'll get a chance on Sunday to do a test as the temperature will dropping to -28 C.

I wish I had a temperature probe in the sub floor.
Regards, Don

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
My dog would love that!
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The carpet has been going now for 7 hours. Temperature of carpet is 40 C (104 f). Beneath the carpet is 50 C (122 f). The coldest spot I could find was 10 C (50 f).

With the floor heating like that the other heat sources may have an easier time maintaining a comfortable temperature.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Where do we find info on the pricing?
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The carpet has been going now for 7 hours. Temperature of carpet is 40 C (104 f). Beneath the carpet is 50 C (122 f). The coldest spot I could find on the bare floor was 10 C (50 f).
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I got mine from Tempurtech

They can be cut as they do not have wires. I chose to get the indoor/outdoor version as they can be pressure washed.

Halmfamily wrote:
Pianotuna what kind of rug is this, sounds interesting. Where did you purchase it. I think my wife would love one of these for our stick and brick bathroom. Thanks, Randy
Regards, Don

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna what kind of rug is this, sounds interesting. Where did you purchase it. I think my wife would love one of these for our stick and brick bathroom. Thanks, Randy
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Nice to see you have warm weather there. Temperature was -18F this morning in Minneapolis, MN. We have gotten to -3F about 1/2 hour ago. Northern MN was close to -40F this morning.:E

I take it your vacation south is over with. It looks like the carpet will work out for you.:)

Mark
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29