cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter troubleshooting help

barnrt
Explorer
Explorer
Not a big problem, but i would like to try and solve. of course, Saturday makes it impossible to reach the company!
Magnum MM series inverter with remote panel. When I press the ON switch , the screen lights up but not the on/off light. Status reads Float. Yesterday it read OFF. so I don't know if the inverter is off or on. The two inverter powered plugs are lit green. Unit is about 11 months old. Previously the green on/off switch would not always be lit, so maybe the light is malfunctioning. I am thinking it is user error.
Any suggestions? I want to use the rv when parked. But I can wait until my trip is over to have it checked by my tech.
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
carefully touch a wire between + and - battery studs. Discharge finals utterly.
Is this a way to avoid the welding spark? Touch what wire?

First word in sentence has prominence for a reason. I've done this countless times with my 4024 24-volt Trace when I do a full reboot on the menu. I guess I needed a prefix advisory KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN ๐Ÿ™‚

MrWizard
The magnum is a combo unit
Charger and inverter

If you unplug shore power and the TV and outlets still work
The inverter section is operating

If you are plugged into shore power and a meter reading at the batteries is higher than 12.7 preferably over 13.0 then the charge section works

Converter aka chargers charge the batteries
Inverters use the batteries to make 120vac

Combo units like your Magnum do each function, but only one st a time
Not both at the same time

They really should be called "charger-inverters" or just Combos
It would be less confusing
Especially to new users
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
carefully touch a wire between + and - battery studs. Discharge finals utterly.
Is this a way to avoid the welding spark? Touch what wire?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • INVERTER.
    If you have AC power the inverter is ON when disconnected::INVERTER CHARGER
    If voltage is maintained ABOVE disconnected (12.7 ?) level, charger is on.

barnrt
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, still not clear to me. If I unplug shore power, how will I know if the inverter is on?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Disconnect from battery and let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnect. That will also do a reset. Might be prepared for a big spark.

Too many huge electrolytic caps - after a FULL disconnect, carefully touch a wire between + and - battery studs. Discharge finals utterly. Takes 3 hours of disconnection to drain all power from logic circuit.

I've used this true reset many times and it worked when nothing else did.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unplug the coach from shore power and you will quickly find out if the inverter is on. The float message is saying that your batteries are fully charged and the charger part of the inverter/charger setup is working properly.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

barnrt
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for the responses. I am more asking: Is the inverter On? The screen is lit, status says float. Could it be that the ON light is malfunctioning? I am not comfortable detaching the battery. The two inverter plugs have a green light that I think means ON. What would happen if I turn on the tv and the inverter is not working? Would a breaker or fuse go?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
And......
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Unplug from shore power. See if the inverter is working.

Then disconnect the remote from the inverter. Wait an hour. Reconnect the remote.

If that is no help then disconnect from the battery bank. I put switches to allow me to do that, but have never needed a reset.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Disconnect from battery and let it sit for a few minutes, then reconnect. That will also do a reset. Might be prepared for a big spark.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a reset on the Magnums. Check the manual on how to do it.

If that doesn't solve the issue, find the ground for the batteries and remove the ground lug and clean the lug and the metal under it. I had an issue with a bad ground and I ended up needlessly replacing the inverter. I sent the old Magnum back to the factory and they fixed it under warranty. Note: Magnum's warranty is 2 years, but they extend it to 5 if you have a remote control panel.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox