cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is white or black to converter positive?

phildebra2
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing the converter in my DRV Select Suites 5th wheel and did not pay attention as I removed the old one. I have a white cable and a black cable to attach to the new one and want to be certain I know which is positive. I think black is positive in this case which corresponds to the cables on my battery, i.e. white goes to the negative terminal and black to the positive. Part of my confusion comes from the converter inputs which are labeled red for positive and black for negative.
8 REPLIES 8

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Generally Black is positive (hot) and White is negative (neutral)
Voltmeter will confirm.

X2
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
On my TT, this is labeled. What might be a good idea is to paint with fingernail polish or a Sharpie a stripe of black or red on the proper wires, just to make 100% that you are right about what is being attached where. Perhaps even attach a tag with a "+" or "-" to be 100% sure.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ON an RV, WHITE will be negative. If you have 2 wires and one is White and one is Black on an RV the White will be negative. ALWAYS, but to confuse some, Black can be negative (very rare). But White will always be ground. Do NOT confuse a solid White with a White that has a colored stripe (any color). If you have a White with a color line in it, it will be positive. Doug

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Seems if its a factory made component w/ B&W wiring attached, black is always positive. The sad part is, black is also used for negative, as in a red & black factory made component. I like houses better, as white & green & bare is always ground, and black & red is always HOT.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
White is generally negative and the black is positive
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Generally Black is positive (hot) and White is negative (neutral)
Voltmeter will confirm.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
A connected battery would show which is which with a voltage test. As ScottG suggested, the negative should be grounded too. A multimeter should should make short work of it either way.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They seem to mix them up sometimes so I would follow them back to see which one attaches to the frame - its the ground or neg..