cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Last Nail in the Coffin?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My '97 F150 has had its share of issues over the years. Starting last fall, if I use the keyfob to unlock the door, it gets stuck in a cycle of endlessly locking the door instead (click, click, click, click, etc). A smart slap to the door seems to correct that. At least momentarily.

Today, I went to start it (for the first time in a week or two) and found an EXTREMELY dead battery (2v). Hmmmm.. When I connect a charger, the horn starts blaring. What gives? I've disconnected the battery while I recharge it.

Why is the horn sounding when I connect the battery? Is this likely just the horn? Or is it rather something much more expensive?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
27 REPLIES 27

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering if flawed door lock electronics coupled with a low battery could contribute to totally draining the battery. Since I've totally recharged the battery, I haven't been able to replicate the door lock problem. Of course, I haven't given it much time yet either. A frayed wire could be the culprit. Will investigate that too. Thanks for the input!

By the way I've heard from multiple people with late 90s vintage Explorers relating similar stories! Not just online either!
2015 Ram 1500

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Billy,

I just went thru the same thing with my 98 explorer limited. Suddenly the door locks would not work with the fob, and the battery went dead. Turned out to be a couple of loose/corroded door lock wires in the driver's door, causing a small leach. It also turned out the alternator was not working to it's original capacity, so it was a double wammy.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BillyW wrote:
My '97 F150 has had its share of issues over the years. Starting last fall, if I use the keyfob to unlock the door, it gets stuck in a cycle of endlessly locking the door instead (click, click, click, click, etc). A smart slap to the door seems to correct that. At least momentarily.

Today, I went to start it (for the first time in a week or two) and found an EXTREMELY dead battery (2v). Hmmmm.. When I connect a charger, the horn starts blaring. What gives? I've disconnected the battery while I recharge it.

Why is the horn sounding when I connect the battery? Is this likely just the horn? Or is it rather something much more expensive?

Body control module is most likely gone bad..

Typically found on the drivers side under the dash, directly under the windshield which tends to develop a well hidden leak that happens to drip right onto the Body Control Module... Once leaked on the Body Control Module tend to lose it's mind and go mad..

The Body control module controls all those things you have found to have gone wacky like horn, headlights, door locks and even windshield wipers..

Start checking to see if your carpet is wet on the drivers side..

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, since you use "lying" instead of "laying" properly, you obviously have a clue. So disable the security and go from there.

I have to use a battery maintainer charger on the truck at home when it only does quick short trips back and forth so it never has time to recharge itself. On long trips it is fine.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I wish it was just barely broke in! It is still fully insured, though I have no idea why.... Hmmm

It has the OEM tamper alarm only. I think I'm going with the door lock draining the battery scenario. It appears pretty common, online anyhow.
2015 Ram 1500

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Does it have some alarm system? Remove it may fix the horn and the lock.
Don't worry no one is going to steal that old truck... or maybe they will ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had to specifically demand my truck was factory OEM only. No free alarm for me.

Keep on trucking. That F150 is just barely broke in.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did your remote lock system go bad and drain the batt. Seen it happen before.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
edbehnke wrote:
time to buy another truck
The VERY moment I can convince she that wears the pants! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on what might suddenly drain a battery so quickly? I mean it was down to 2 volts. It's been no more than 2 weeks since I drove it last.
2015 Ram 1500

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
time to buy another truck
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Could be the case... I removed the horn relay and reconnected the battery. The headlights started flashing. When I started the truck, it started fine and the headlights quit flashing. Incidentally, the door lock started its click, click, click thing again, even though I used the key and not the fob. Suppose they are related? In the meantime, I'm adding one of those cheap Harbor Freight battery maintainers I had lying around. I'll monitor it a bit I guess. Maybe it's just time for a new battery. I obviously keep my vehicles way too long.
2015 Ram 1500

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Security systems often do that when the hattery is dead and then connected to a charger or other 12 volt source.

X2. I'm betting on the security system.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Security systems often do that when the hattery is dead and then connected to a charger or other 12 volt source.