cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lead in water

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
With lead in water making the news lately, I decided to do some testing at home. With all new 2006 cpvc plumbing, I didn't expect to see much of a problem, but was concerned about the 2006 brass fixtures. Sure enough, the first draw off of a bathroom sink faucet exceeded the federal limit. It looks like the newer versions of the very same faucet models are built to stricter standards, so I'm starting to change them out one by one. Looking a bit further out, the camper water supply is my next concern. The camper has Quest plumbing and plastic faucets, so I should be in great shape. However, I generally fill the tank prior to leaving home from an outdoor faucet. Using the same logic as before, perhaps I can perform an exact swap. Looking at http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/LowLeadLaw.html, I see the manufacturer has easily sidestepped the law by claiming they don't anticipate anyone using these faucets to supply water for human consumption. And not even a warning label on the new faucets to indicate this determination. So there you have it. Not only must we take our chances on the road with old pre- safe water drinking act equipment, the newest equipment may not be any better. I suggest we start informing the manufacturers how we use this stuff so they can adjust their anticipations. And in the meantime, let the water run awhile to flush out the lead before filling your tank or taking a drink when hooked up.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
23 REPLIES 23

westend
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
It's a private outfit. Found a list of certified labs on a state website. They can run all the tests you might want to do on domestic water. USPS handled the transport, and the results were obtained via email.

Testing kits are available from Amazon, but they appear to only detect the presence of lead, not the amount.

Thank you.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's a private outfit. Found a list of certified labs on a state website. They can run all the tests you might want to do on domestic water. USPS handled the transport, and the results were obtained via email.

Testing kits are available from Amazon, but they appear to only detect the presence of lead, not the amount.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs is right. Lead is more serious of a problem in the young because their cells are reproducing faster because they are maturing and therefore the effects of lead poisoning is more pronounced. Sure, these kids aren't dead but their IQ level has dropped amongst other potential problems. The argument that one has been consuming lead all their lives with no ill effects reminds of the cigarette smoking arguments that their uncles and fathers, mothers and so on have been smoking all their lives and they're still alive even though dad is impotent and mom has serious wrinkles.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Do you have young children? Lead is only a critical concern for young children.

hardly. Lead is a concern and very dangerous for anyone. It cannot be celated out like many other heavy metals, it has harmful effects on the brain and nervous system throughout your life and the effects are cumulative regardless of when you are exposed to it.

While it's effects show up quickly and quite obvious in children the effects on adults is just as bad.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
stevenal wrote:
State certified testing lab.

So you are transporting samples to this lab? Is this lab a private company or is it a gov't agency? The reason I'm asking is that I'm clueless where I would bring a water sample to be tested.

Do you have a college nearby? I bet the chemistry department would be helpful. At the college I teach at our Chem Dept. runs a service-learning course in which the students go out into the community and test soil around people's homes as part of their learning experience.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

westend
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:

So you are transporting samples to this lab? Is this lab a private company or is it a gov't agency? The reason I'm asking is that I'm clueless where I would bring a water sample to be tested.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II

westend
Explorer
Explorer
How are you measuring lead levels?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm wrote:

The best advice I have ever seen is to let the water run a bit before filling your glass., or rinse the glass first.

And now you know why.

If the lead source is the hose bib you're hooked up to, rinsing the glass will only move the contaminated water a bit down the hose.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyemunson wrote:
Remember, the first bit of water to come out of a faucet after sitting a while may test high for lead but just a few seconds of flushing the water standing in the fixture should provide water meeting the supplier's specs. I doubt water passing through a fixture picks up any testable level of lead contamination.

The best advice I have ever seen is to let the water run a bit before filling your glass., or rinse the glass first.

And now you know why.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
After all the years of drinking hot water from a rubber garden hose, eating/chewing on lead based paint growing up, wallowing in Red Lead paint in NAVY bilges along with the 30 yrs exposure to asbestos I doubt a little lead leaching from a brass fixture is going to cause ME an issues.

My Immune System was heavily assaulted and has survived.....:B

Don't forget the Mercury we poured into our palms and rubbed pennies in it to make them shinny, and biting lead split shot on fishing lines.:B

And holding all those lead BBs for our single shot Daisy BB Guns in our mouth.

And handling all those lead shot for reloading shot gun shells and making snake loads for my S&W K38.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have young children? Lead is only a critical concern for young children.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Why not consider a PUR faucet mount filter. Removes lead and many other contaminants right at the point of use. Also has a quick disconnect feature (not all models) for easy removal during travel.
It is the perfect solution for RV's.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
stevenal wrote:
With lead in water making the news lately, I decided to do some testing at home.

I suspect reading those news reports and then worrying over them will shorten your life FAR more than what comes out of your tap.

As my grandfather used to tell me, "You'll eat a peck or more of dirt before you die, don't sweat it.".