cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leeking Batterys

angelo2660f
Explorer
Explorer
After filling them up with distillate whater notice all the 4 battery leeking from the caps.do I need new batterys?
14 REPLIES 14

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
angelo2660f wrote:
4 battery leeking from the caps.do I need new batterys?
If leeks are growing from the caps, yes.

I was going to suggest that perhaps he had run over a chicken and it was "cock-a-leekie" (chicken and leek soup) but then I realised that that would be rude. My speling is quiet good butt I often make typos.

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
stuplich wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Never fill a discharged battery before charging.

Never fill higher than the very bottom of the plastic tube with a split in it.

Finally someone got it RIGHT!
The battery shop that had sold and installed my 4 new 12V deep cycle house batteries told me exactly that.

At two months old those batteries where boiling/leaking out of the caps, (I had filled them to the split ring prior to charging them).

A tech sucked electrolyte out of each cell of each battery, (down to the level of the very BOTTOM of the split/tube).
I have maintained the electrolyte at that level, (using distilled water), for the past 6 years with no problems.
I check the level every three months and usually have to add water twice a year, (your mileage may vary). LOL
Mel
'96 Safari

X2
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Finally someone got it RIGHT!
The battery shop that had sold and installed my 4 new 12V deep cycle house batteries told me exactly that.

At two months old those batteries where boiling/leaking out of the caps, (I had filled them to the split ring prior to charging them).

A tech sucked electrolyte out of each cell of each battery, (down to the level of the very BOTTOM of the split/tube).
I have maintained the electrolyte at that level, (using distilled water), for the past 6 years with no problems.
I check the level every three months and usually have to add water twice a year, (your mileage may vary). LOL
Mel
'96 Safari

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
It is ALSO quite possible that your charger is simply overcharging your batteries. Overcharging boils water out of the battery. Check the charge voltage and be sure it's not over 14 volts.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too much water added to a battery will cause the gas bubbles to push liquid out when the bubbles try to get out. So, wash off the overflow and keep the batteries clean. The bubbling should stop pushing liquid out in one or two charging cycles.

Be careful of the liquid. It probably is no longer just "water", but acid and can burn your skin.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it sounds as if you put too much water in the battery.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wind River wrote:
It sounds like you put too much distilled water into the batteries. The battery should only be filled to the top of the split rings.

X2
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
angelo2660f wrote:
4 battery leeking from the caps.do I need new batterys?
If leeks are growing from the caps, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you put too much distilled water into the batteries. The battery should only be filled to the top of the split rings.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

Moved from Forum Technical Support

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've never seen any liquid leak upward. Got pictures?

I'd like to suggest you inquire in the technical issues forum, as Forum Technical Issues is for things having to do with this web site, not with problems in the real world. You'll be more likely to get an answer over there