cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling blocks on dual rear wheels

standup
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I have to level the old way this summer. Big Foot system is on the sick list.
Using drive-over blocks, is it necessary to support both rear wheels on a side? Is running up on only one tire of a pair an issue?
2014 Class C.
12 REPLIES 12

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are setting up for regular use, get blocks that accommodate both but...

As long as the tire you block is fully supported, it's not going to cause a tire failure.

What many of those posting don't understand is the difference between static and dynamic loading.
- If I gently set a 50lb bag of sand in your arms, you can probably hold it.
- If I drop that same 50b bag from 10ft up, I'm betting you can't hold it.

That's basically what happens when you compare slowly pulling up onto a block vs hitting a pothole at 70mph. The forces on the tires hitting that pothole are several times what they will see slowly riding up onto a block.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Duplicate post; mod please delete
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My owner's manual says to always block both dual tires.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cut a number of 10x18" (approx) pieces of old scrap 3/4" plywood for this purpose. I found using 2x boards would split over time, and with a nominal dimension of 1 1/2 inches, I wasn't getting the granularity needed for the desired leveling. The 3/4" plywood has proven to be way more durable than the 2x boards.

This size works for both front and back tires; I stack what I feel will work, but stagger the pieces so it forms a ramp.

I store these in a rubbermaid box (no rubber in those plastic boxes!) in a storage hold, and learned never to put a lid on the box. I stored several once after departing from a site where we got a lot of rain overnight, and the next time I got into the box, they were moldy. The lid got moved under the box and has been there since then. I've never had moldy block since that event.

This has worked for better than a decade of class C ownership, and while the idea of leveling jacks has appeal, I don't care to spend that much (and add additional weight) when the plywood works well for me.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one of the duallies is not on a block, it is not supporting its fair share of weight. If it is not supporting its fair share of weight, the other tire is supporting twice its fair share of weight. It is well known that overloading a tire shortens its lifespan. You don't want to be rolling down the interstate at speed when that tire blows because you shortened its lifespan and it finally failed, leaving you to wonder just WHY that tire blew.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to go with the recommendations of the tire MFG
such as my Michelin Tires

I prefer and try to block both
I dont believe I'm damaging tires.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Rhino ramps. They come in various weight capacities.

IMO one for each wheel of a dually pair, but just maybe not required when parked as there is no tire heat from driving. I use two anyway.

When the back or front is the low end and not level side to side, you place the higher side ramp(s) a bit out from the tire(s) that side so the whole end goes up but not as far up the one side's ramp(s) as the other's.

I have a level on the dash for side to side and on the driver's door inside so I can see when it is right. Shut down and stomp on the parking brake. ( Check on the way up that you don't drive up and off!
The ridge at the end of the ramp only helps a little. BTDT)

They do take up space and get dirty and wet but there is room in our C in outside compartments. Usually carry four but it could take six. Mostly find only need two

https://www.princessauto.com/en/16000-lb-rhino-vehicle-ramps/product/PA0008607582
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d be safe and level with blocks under both wheels.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
On a previous MH without jacks we used blocks and put one of the rear wheels on. I tried to make sure it was the inside wheel. This was a pretty light entry level MH. Never had an issue.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
That would depend on the weight. You might crush the plastic blocks. Wood blocks would hold up under one tire.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Only an issue if it's too bouncy. Your tires see much more dynamic load than static load. It'll sit on one tire just fine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold