cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lift slide out

jokaj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me Fleetwood Jamboree with two slide outs. On the underside of one of the slide out appears to be damage from the rollers - roller crushed/gouged the underside of the slide out. I read online that I can use a thin sheet of metal to place over the damage area. The question I have is can I lift (~1/4") the slide out so I can place the sheet between the roller and bottom of the slide out? The roller is connected to the RV and the slide out moves over the roller. Also, I can only see two rollers from the exterior. Are there anymore on the inside? Thanks for any help. FYI, The damage appears to be mechanical and not rot.

Joe
10 REPLIES 10

NorCal_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about the vapor barrier on the underside of the slideout I had the same problem with my Monaco MH. This is specific to Monaco products, but may offer clues to other brands. Monaco recommends operating slides when the coach is still air'd up. I once operated my slide after dumping air and the twist caused by not being square caused that vapor barrier material to bunch up on the roller and tear. Once that happens any subsequent operations of the slide out will continue to tear that material. My dealer performed the repair by installing what looked like hard rubber runners where the floor of the slideout met the metal rollers. Sounds very similar to what has been offered here using sheet metal. Keep in mind that slideouts are extremely heavy and sheet metal may not be able to handle the weight. You will also need to seal whatever you install so moisture does not get in and rot the wood subfloor.
'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
jokaj wrote:
Thanks for the replies. ADAD437 - do you know how they lifted the slide out? I am thinking of either getting a farm jack from harbor freight or use some bottle jacks. I am not sure if it is safe to lift from the rails or lay some 2x4 across the bottom and lifting from there.....Thanks again for any advice.

no i am sorry they would not let me go into the shop area and i didn't think to ask. my son had to level his slide and he used bottle jack's a barrel and 2x4s at the corners.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

jokaj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. ADAD437 - do you know how they lifted the slide out? I am thinking of either getting a farm jack from harbor freight or use some bottle jacks. I am not sure if it is safe to lift from the rails or lay some 2x4 across the bottom and lifting from there.....Thanks again for any advice.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking to see if you have more then two rollers lift the rug on the slide edge, inside, and look to see what you can see. On my fifth wheel I can see the rollers by doing this from the inside.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Are you incinuating that you don't have, or have access to a little bottle jack, and a couple 2x4s ?

I think OP is asking if/how it is okay to lift slide. Any tips hw, where to put jack, best tips, etc.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Are you incinuating that you don't have, or have access to a little bottle jack, and a couple 2x4s ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
i had the same problem with mine, i took it to coachman factory and that is what they done. they used 1/4 inch steel plates and raised it enough to slide over the rollers. it could be 1/8 inch i am not sure as i haven't looked at it that close but it works great.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

jokaj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. The coach is out of warranty. rtate - That is exactly what I am looking for but am trying to figure out how I can insert the metal between the roller and slide out. I need to lift the slide out. Do you think I can lift from the rails from the bottom of the slide out......? Thanks again....

rtate
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. The damage on mine seemed to be caused by the roller when the slide was retracted. Probably the result of the slide bouncing when on the road. I went to Lowes and bought a couple of pieces of sheet metal about six or eight inches wide and just about the lenght of my slide. With the slide extended, I inserted these until they just contacted the rollers and then fastened them along the edges with sheet metal screws along the edges and a good adheasive. The metal needs to be wide enough so that the screws on the edges are out of the path of the rollers. Seems to be working ok.
2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
If it is new, take it back for warranty work.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized