Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LPG Filler advice please

ceejayt
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I am bringing my UK A Class to the US. I have an underslung 90 litre LPG tank which I fill using a series of screw in adaptors depending on which European country I am in.

Can anyone tell me if there is a standard adaptor for US and Canada which is likely to fit or have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance
21 REPLIES 21

ceejayt
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
As stated in a previous comment- you will need the ACME adapter- http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-bayonet-w21-8-to-acme-filling-point-adapter/.

Thank you

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
As stated in a previous comment- you will need the ACME adapter- http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-bayonet-w21-8-to-acme-filling-point-adapter/.
-- Chris Bryant

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ceejayt

From your picture that looks like a standard POL connection, If it is you should not have any issues getting gas. I would recommend as soon as you arrive you visit one of the major LP suppliers in that area they should be able to "hook" you up with the necessary fittings
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

ceejayt
Explorer
Explorer
So, looking at the photo and now understanding this is connected to the pump I will need an adaptor which this end will screw into which I will then screw into my vehicle.

Must be a solution - I will ask on the UK forums as someone must have done this

ceejayt
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Best to wait until you get here. Use the tank up and be near a city when it comes time to adapt.

You can ship it from Europe with the Propane tank filled?

Just curious.

I doubt I could ship with it full but will be checking that. Leaving it to chance and saying 'fill her up' doesn't sound like a great idea.

I can check the thread size - if the thread size is the same then I should have no problem.

Thanks again

ceejayt
Explorer
Explorer
Bessie-Hunter wrote:
Class A coaches here in the USA have a 1 3/4" ACME thread on the fill valve.

Most helpful, thank you

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:

Frequency as well? 230 vac 50 Hz > 120 vac 60 Hz ?

Frequency is really not important for the majority of devices. One notable exception are the outdated ferroresonant converters, the output voltage of which is rather strongly dependent on line frequency.

Other than that, the only likely problems are some clocks and timers that would run too fast. Appliance motors, lights, heaters, electronics power supplies, etc. are all essentially immune to modest line frequency variations. (In theory synchronous motors, used in many fans etc., should run at a different speed; however, in a lot of common applications, they're not actually running at synchronous speed but rather at some torque-limited speed, and often also used in situations where modest changes in speed are not of great import.)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Pull up Class A to Propane Dealer.

Tell attendant........fill it up.

A real propane dealer will not have an issue......some places like 'gas stations/corner stops' might have an issue but probably be OK

The only problem is finding a REAL propane dealer in some parts of the country.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Best to wait until you get here. Use the tank up and be near a city when it comes time to adapt.

You can ship it from Europe with the Propane tank filled?

Just curious.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see many rigs from across the pond in my travels in the USA. What the OP is doing is not that unusual.
Met at least 2 French,3cEnglish, and a couple of German nationals with their rigs on our highways.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pull up Class A to Propane Dealer.

Tell attendant........fill it up.

A real propane dealer will not have an issue......some places like 'gas stations/corner stops' might have an issue but probably be OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bessie-Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Class A coaches here in the USA have a 1 3/4" ACME thread on the fill valve.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ceejayt wrote:
I am bringing my UK A Class to the US.

SoundGuy wrote:
Benefit of the doubt says you've already researched this BUT I'll ask anyway ... you sure you really want to do this? Standards and regulations here in N America are entirely different than in the UK and Europe ...

ceejayt wrote:
All sorted - shipping for 9 months, insurance covered and voltage converter ...

Frequency as well? 230 vac 50 Hz > 120 vac 60 Hz ?

I've never done this but it sure seems like it'd be a lot easier to rent a rig over here for the time needed. :?

BTW, that propane fitting posted earlier is a standard reverse thread P.O.L. connector found on the inside of every OPD compliant tank installed on RVs these days here in N America.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer