cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Luan Buckling Underneath Roof Membrane...

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
There is an area near the side of our roof where the luan plywood is buckling/delaminating just underneath the roofing membrane (it's buckling is pushing upward underneath the membrane). I assume there is a leak that is causing this to happen. There are no signs of water leaking inside the trailer. I'd like to find where the leak is before I perform surgery to repair or replace the damaged area, but I can't find it. I've even done a pressure test with soapy bubbles using a leaf-blower, but still can't find it. On a side note, Eternabond had already been used over most of the roof already and will be used again to seal up the repaired area.

Anyone have any ideas on how to locate the source of this leak?
'05 Chevy Tahoe & โ€™08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls
6 REPLIES 6

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Can't help with locating the leak, but I am puzzled. Luan is not a common material on a trailer roof. Usually it's a particle board covered with rubber-ish EPDM coat. When EPDM is bubbling and separating from the particle board, chances are it is not caused by leaks.

Not quite true, it is usually plywood covered with Luan covered with rubber. There may well be exceptions.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
Ted, I would be very interested to know if you find exposed screws under your A/C and if they have caused any leaks. I am subscribed to this topic or if you start a new thread I will try to catch it.

My roof is aluminum frame with foam sandwiched between Luan and is buckling over a large area (I neglected my leak too long) so I am looking at a similar repair to yours next spring.

Bill
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

Leaf-Peeper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses...

dougrainer: It appears the upper layer(s) of the luan has delaminated from the ones below, creating some wrinkles or buckling effect that is pushing upward. I think the lower surface of the luan is probably still secured to the foam core below.

Bleugoat: We'll have to pull our AC unit and see if we have a similar situation like you experienced. We have a new AC roof gasket is on order. I like your repair..., nice idea building up a raised curbing and spacers.

Almot: With the inside AC grill removed, I can see it's definitely a multi-layered, 1/4" luan product. I think is/was typical of an ultra-light built unit, constructed similar to the way the floors and walls are built.
'05 Chevy Tahoe & โ€™08 Rockwood Roo 23ss
'62 Myself
'62 Camper Honey
'96 Camper Twin Girls

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't help with locating the leak, but I am puzzled. Luan is not a common material on a trailer roof. Usually it's a particle board covered with rubber-ish EPDM coat. When EPDM is bubbling and separating from the particle board, chances are it is not caused by leaks.

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
Your problem may be different than mine described in this post:

Roof Repair

Hope it helps.

Bill
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is rare(I have never seen it) for water damaged Luan to actually put upward pressure on the membrane. I HAVE seen incorrectly secured Luan (staples too short or no mount hardware at the area) that has lifted up. If water damaged, the luan has NO strength at all to do anything. I will bet you just need to peel the rubber back and secure the Luan. Doug