cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum ME 2012 Inverter Charger not providing 120VAC

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, the 120vac is shut down in the MH by the inverter. I have tried to reset the inverter to no avail. The inverter works fine but the reset on the charger does not. Troubleshooting in the manual only instructs to hold the reset button, any ideas or suggestion? I have 120vac from the shore pwr to the inverter - I have 120vac on the 50amp breaker at the pwr panel.
Paul127
45 REPLIES 45

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the lack of clarity in my previous post. While plugged into shore pwr at the CG the coach has no 120ac pwr. I have 120vac at the pedestal, I have it at the 50amp breaker in the RV - I have it on several of the circuit breakers in the distribution panel.
If I turn on the inverter the Mangum ME 2012 inverts fine, all my circuits are wired to the inverter (except roof AC's) The troubling shooting for the inverter states to push the momentary on/off switch to reset the inverter and to no avail.

Paul
Paul127

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one ME-2012 Inverter charger I saw was wired to a separate circuit breaker in the 120VAC Power Panel. Then was connected to two 6VDC Batteries in series.

It also had a separate 120VAC Emergency 120VAC panel connected to its output.

When the unit was connected to shore power then it passed thru 120VAC to the 120VAC Emergency Panel. It also then charged the connected 12VDC battery bank.

When commercial power was disconnected the Battery Bank switched into the INVERTER board and provided 120VAC Modified Sine Power to the 120VAC Emergency Power Panel only. This would run this way until the battery bank would be depleted. I think the guy told me the Inverter only being fed by the two 6VDC batteries would only produce around 1000 WATTS of 120VAC Modified Sine Wave power.

Plugging the trailer back to Shore Power or Generator would then switch out the Inverter Board and the 120VAC Emergency Power Panel would then switch back to the pass-through 120VAC voltage coming from the Shore Power Connection or the Generator.

The Battery Bank then would start being re-charged again...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum has an excellant tech support. Phone them while onboard and they will walk you through trouble shooting. Another plus for Magnum is that their inverters have user replaceable circuit boards that are a snap to change.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

We don't know how this inverter is wired into the RV. For mine the Inverter is used by applying shore power to the inverter.

The inverter has a pass through transfer switch. If the 2012 is the same as mine it is a 60 amp transfer switch. It does have a time delay when power is first applied.

Until we have more information it is unlikely that we can offer more than guesses as to what has happened.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
So you are saying that the 2012 IS passing 120VAC, but you lost power in the coach? Have you looked for a Tripped GFI ?

If its the transfer relay, depending on how it was wired, you may have a second set of unused contacts behind the access panel (i think thats what you refer to as a buss?) that you can roll over to.

There are a couple of factory guys that hang out here that might chime in, but frankly these things rarely break and they have had little to help with.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like the pass through function is not operating. The 120 volt coming out of the inverter is inverted power.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul127 wrote:
I have 120vac into and out of the inverter buss bar but no 120vac in the coach while plugged into 30amp service at the CG.
Ok.. this is confusing me.

This is a separate buss bar? AC stops at the inverter?

The manual isn't much help. If the inverter is working, but passes no AC, it sounds like a bad Xfer switch.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look in the 120 volt AC distribution panel. Locate the circuit breaker for the inverter. Turn off the breaker applying light pressure toward off, then turn it back on.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Paul127 wrote:
Hi, the inverter is operating fine, the 120vac to the coach is not operating. I have 120vac into and out of the inverter buss bar but no 120vac in the coach while plugged into 30amp service at the CG. I checked the large 12vdc fuse OK - I am unable to find the 30amp fuses on the inverter itself

I have read your post numerous times and still have NO IDEA of your problem.
1. The Inverter/Charger has NO affect on ALL 120 in your RV
2. The Inverter/Charger ONLY affects the few 120 circuits that run THRU the Inverter.
3. You have an INPUT 120 romex wire and an OUTPUT Romex wire. Does the INPUT have 120 volts? Does the OUTPUT have 120 volts. Your posts do not make this clear. It appears from this post I have copied you DO have 120 in and out, which indicates your Inverter is NOT the problem.
4. Do you have NO 120 in the RV at all? Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

What happens if you turn the inverter off.

I suspect the problem is nothing to do with the inverter as you appear to have power to the breaker panel in the RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Paul127 wrote:
Hi, the inverter is operating fine, the 120vac to the coach is not operating. I have 120vac into and out of the inverter buss bar but no 120vac in the coach while plugged into 30amp service at the CG. I checked the large 12vdc fuse OK - I am unable to find the 30amp fuses on the inverter itself
The 30 amp fuses are actually push button breakers. It's not uncommon for one of them to "pop" and shut down most of the pass through power going into the coach. They have a black head a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser, and if popped the shaft is white and usually shows. All that's needed if it popped is to push it in solid and the power is restored.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
As Corkey05 said, you need to check the two output circuit breakers on the side of the inverter itself.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Paul127

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the large incoming 12 volt fuse

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might want to check out the batteries... Not having one of those integrated INVERTER/CHARGER units I am not familiar with how they all work. I do know an INVERTER has to have a large working Battery Bank source to produce 120VAC. A 2000WATT Inverter will want to draw over 160AMPS DC Current from your battery bank if loaded down with alot of applinaces.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS