Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

minimalist heating

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This is a clever variation on the flower pot heaters. My guess is about 1000 to 1500 btu's.

flower pot heater variation
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

This is a clever variation on the flower pot heaters. My guess is about 1000 to 1500 btu's.

flower pot heater variation

I have seen this "invention" mentioned on another website.

Conclusion, no real "usable" heat would be given off by this method. Basically all this idea does is slow down the dissipation of the heat and traps the heat within the flower pots instead of the heat going all to the ceiling. Basically is is falsely giving you the feeling of heat.

Winter brings out the cheapskates for sure, there is no free lunch (or heat). RVs do not have the best insulation (something like R3 at best) and therefore if you are planning to camp in freezing weather you should be prepared (or at least willing) to spend some money on heat.

A fool and his life are soon "departed" when playing with unvented heating devices and throw in candles for good measure...

Just another great way to get a "honorable" mention in the Darwin Awards...

MrWizard
skipnchar wrote:
ANY heat source that includes a flame of any kind is a danger of asphyxiation in an enclosed space. Be sure to factor in the heat you'll loose from opening a vent or window to allow the air burned to be replenished. Another minimalist method of heating your RV is to lower the thermostat on your furnace and there is NO chance of a properly working furnace to asphyxiate anyone OR put dangers CO fumes into the living quarters.
Good luck / Skip

you forget where he is at

an overnight snow storm could make a drift capable of blocking the heater exhaust

people in snow drifts on the side of the road have died because they didn't get out and clear the exhaust

now 'quite' so likely to happen in an RV with the heater exhaust, BUT still possible and has to be considered, TRAPPED fumes are a danger even when the furnace operates correctly
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Print This Out And Tape It To Windows With icicles hanging outside...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

In the weather I camp out in, I'd need 88 flower pots and 176 candles. Just where would I find room for those in a class c?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
there are only 3500 BTUs in a pound of pure wax, How long does it take to burn a one pound candle?

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
ANY heat source that includes a flame of any kind is a danger of asphyxiation in an enclosed space. Be sure to factor in the heat you'll loose from opening a vent or window to allow the air burned to be replenished. Another minimalist method of heating your RV is to lower the thermostat on your furnace and there is NO chance of a properly working furnace to asphyxiate anyone OR put dangers CO fumes into the living quarters.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another PLAN B source of quick heat to consider I reckon...

I would probably add some hinges for the pots to keep them in the correct position..
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS