cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motor oil mixing

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a case of synthetic blend 5w 30 motor oil. Didn't notice that till I got home. Can I use it to top off regular engine oil?
thanks
Tim fm CT in our home sweet dome
2005 Tiffin 32BA workhorse GM 8.1
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide
8 REPLIES 8

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
I'm old school from when that was a strict no no. I've always found it simpler to not mix things so I don't have to strain the brain on what works and what doesn't. I'd return the oil or save it for my next oil change.

Bill

Well, long long time ago (I'm thinking '60's might be 70's) there was ONE synthetic maker who used a base that was not compatible and thus the rule was "once you switch, DO NOT MIX, DO NOT SWITCH BACK) however this base also ate seals so they only made that formula for a very short time. The company is still in business, I will not name them, but their product today is safe to mix with other oils and no longer eats seals for lunch.

To the Original poster:

Your product is already a blend of Synthetic (more likely highly refined dino) and regular Dino oil.. So yes, you can mix it, no problem.. Mix and match as you wish.. The only "Issue" is if you are using it to top off a crankcase full of regular oil, you paid too much.

By the way, My crankcase has blended in it now. That is all the dealer who changes my oil (Best price in the neighborhood) uses. They charge me what a Dino only change would cost elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. I purchased a case of this 5w 30 @ $2.60/qt
thinking it was regular oil. Seemed to be a reasonable price.
Glad to hear I can use it .
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
I'm old school from when that was a strict no no. I've always found it simpler to not mix things so I don't have to strain the brain on what works and what doesn't. I'd return the oil or save it for my next oil change.

Bill

Well, long long time ago (I'm thinking '60's might be 70's) there was ONE synthetic maker who used a base that was not compatible and thus the rule was "once you switch, DO NOT MIX, DO NOT SWITCH BACK) however this base also ate seals so they only made that formula for a very short time. The company is still in business, I will not name them, but their product today is safe to mix with other oils and no longer eats seals for lunch.

To the Original poster:

Your product is already a blend of Synthetic (more likely highly refined dino) and regular Dino oil.. So yes, you can mix it, no problem.. Mix and match as you wish.. The only "Issue" is if you are using it to top off a crankcase full of regular oil, you paid too much.

By the way, My crankcase has blended in it now. That is all the dealer who changes my oil (Best price in the neighborhood) uses. They charge me what a Dino only change would cost elsewhere.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TimfmCT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the rapid replies.
It's an older vehicle (1999) that needs topping off from time to time.
Being a synthetic blend, I guess its a mix already. I didn't consider that.
thanks again,
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
2005 HD Superglide

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Synthetic comes from conventional oil stock and mixing it is not a problem as long as it meats the same or better API standard.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Synthetic, synthetic blend and conventional oils are completely compatible with one another.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
According to Valvoline (one of the oldest in the business), you can switch between their standard, blended and full synthetic oils without issue. dunno if that applies to other oils.

I have switched between grades on my Subaru, and the engine hasn't exploded. Normally I run full syn high mileage but one change, they were back ordered, so I went with standard high milage, and then back to full syn six months later.

source: http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/37
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed