cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

my solar install

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to a LOT of people's help on this forum my panels are up and working.
I got my 120 watt panels, MC4 cables, Tristar 45 PWM contoller and TS-RM-2 display from Solar Blvd who matched the prices of the controller, display, temp probe etc I got from Ecodirect, I thought that was pretty good.

Instead of a 'combiner box' I used Blue Sea feed through posts in the fridge vent, they're not exposed to much UV at all under the fridge vent so I'm pretty confident that won't be a problem.

I ran 4ga down the fridge vent, through the floor into conduit underneath the trailer coming back up in the front cupboard then over to the are under the front sofa where my PD-9280 and 600 watt inverter are located. I ran the output of the controller to the 4 ga cables going from the batteries (through a fuse) to the inverter.

Used a 50 amp breaker on the 4 ga from the panels to the controller.

Don't like the idea of the 'Z brackets' most places sell so I made my own out of aluminium angle and stainless hardware.

Other than the length going to the first panel all the cable is held in place to the bottom of the panels. I made the brackets for the front panel slightly different so it's tilted a bit otherwise it wouldn't have had any tilt at all for water to run off, might help tot avoid lift too maybe..?

The most I've seen them put out so far is 16.5 amps, I think I woulda got a little more as the sun got higher but right then it dropped down to 'absorption' mode. By adding a Y-connector to the cable feeding the lst panel I'll be able to add another panel in the future, something tells me that will be in the spring! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, and sorry for all the stupid questions the last little while.
Will

Feb 2017, edit

August 2016 I picked up another 120 watt panel from Solar Blvd, they must have a new supplier, this one seemed to be maybe a little better made with a slightly beefier frame, the finish on the top of the panel is slightly different as well.
I added it on the left side of the trailer 'wyeing' into the cable that was coming from the panel in front of it, so now we have 480 watts on the roof.
Also a pic of the bracket I made up and the stainless screws I used, think they were 12 x 1.75" long.

So far no complaints, even added a pigtail off my trailer batteries I use for charging my boat battery, of course doing that screws up the readings on my Trimeteric until I reset it once the boat battery is removed.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge
15 REPLIES 15

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer I added another 120 watt panel from Solar Blvd, 480 watts up there now.
Added a couple pics to my original post.

No complaints at all with the panels, Trimetric etc, one of the best things I've done on this trailer.
Will

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Now you gave me the bug to post some PICS of my install! With a full slide on the drivers side I ended up purchasing 4 256w high voltage panels while visiting LA California. I did will call & ended up paying about .87/watt. Mounted flat on Z brackets, 8/panel. I have 2 strings parallel using MC4 connectors. Pumping 60 volts via PV wire thru entry plate on the roof down to Midnight Solar Classic 200 light. by 11:00 the bats are floating. See about 40amps when recharging. Drops off float around 630 PM. I have seen as high as 900 watts from those panels wintering in the S.W. (currently at Imperial Dam L.T.V.A.) Only run genset for Convection oven.
I Love Solar!!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
This material will shrink with age
-----------------------------------
IME, Dicor does not shrink, even after 10 yrs of full sun,(and some freezing too) it was still pliable.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Nice install. Congrats.

I used 3M4200 instead of Dicor for the brackets, just to give them a bit more adhesion. Used about as much as you did, but mine were longer and had 3 screws each. Have since broken off some 1" dia tree branches with the panels/brackets and no damage. So I guess all is good.

For those worried about the effect of UV on PVC outdoor electrical boxes, a good coat of white paint will help.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, it was oozing out all over the place even before I put any screws in.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dicor looks fine to me as long as plenty was put underneath.

Fisherguy
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

...I will be drawing in the mid 20's amps from 6PM to 11PM with my planned power draw.

Keep us informed on how thing go with your initial solar runs...

Roy Ken

Roy, what are you running at night to draw 20 amps? That seems like a lot. I can get up there if I use my inveter to power my AC lights but all my 12V lights have been converted to LED's so I'd never use the AC ones.

As for the other guys comments, I'll go up and put another layer of Dicor on my brackets, didn't think I needed to cover the whole thing..?

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get 'hooked' on solar panels, it is difficult to listen to your generator without thinking '1 more panel, and I would not be starting this noisy generator'.

That was my feeling. My first system was a pair of 45 watt panels, that along with wire, mounts, PWM 15 amp controller, and instructions cost $750 back in 1994. Back then you could rent a 4 BR house for $750, now that would cost well over $1800 rent!

My next panel was in 95, a 75 W that sort of maxed out the controller, on sale for 'only' $375. By 1999, I was ready to step up to MPPT controller (that had just come out and was very expensive I think my SP50 amp controller was around $375. A pair of $429 120 watt panels where also greatly discounted at the time.

Now you can buy a 140 watt panel for $229 at SunElec.com My whole system can be replaced for about $1,000.

I have saved well over $3,000 by saving $10 a night and dry camping over 300 times from 1994 - 2005, when I started full timing, and camped well over 600 times since that time!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dirtpig wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Nice job. Only thing I would comment on is that I would have been more generous with the sealer on the solar panel mounts to the roof.

X2 I would completely cover those brackets so absolutely no chance of water penetration down the road. For the near future your seal job is adequate. Nice job on the install.
Funny thing I was thinking the same thing and mentioned the same on Buzzcut1 solar install. He shared that he would be going back and updating the Goop too. Haven't seen any updates, but it is better to have it.

It never hurts to use a good amount and not just cover the item. But to pool around the bracket. This material will shrink with age and begin to "Pock" with UV exposure. If done generously, you will only get the surface Pocking, leaving the material beneath to do the work intended.

Great job, otherwise!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Nice job. Only thing I would comment on is that I would have been more generous with the sealer on the solar panel mounts to the roof.

X2 I would completely cover those brackets so absolutely no chance of water penetration down the road. For the near future your seal job is adequate. Nice job on the install.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yea, way to go..... Great install...

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your BLUE SEA feed-through idea

I've been contemplating using PVC Electrical BOXES mounted on the side of the trailer up at the roof line for mine but the UV's may be too much for that over time...

I already use the PVC Electrical Boxes (LOWES) idea for gaining access to the roof area with RG cables and I guess they are surviving ok being in the sun... Having weathertight removable lids sure makes it great for keeping track of the cables... I do the same thing for my 4AWG battery cables at the floor level coming and going to the battery banks...

My goal is to install whatever I come up with to give me around 20AMPs DC Current when in the high sun.

I have already decided to always make my initial DC Charging using the 2KW Honda Generator running my shore power cable to get past the high current phase of 50-60AMPS DC current demand by the batteries for the first charging hour then if I have high sun will allow the panels to finish my charge state until the high sun goes away each... I will always start my run off the batteries with them at their 90% charge state otherwise it will get dark on me around 10PM at night and I have to shut down everthing when I see 12.0VDC on my meter panel. Presently this is occurring at 8AM each morning when I am usually allowed to run my 2KW generator with all of the generator run restriction I usually run into here on the East Side of the USA.

The joys of living out West with all of the vast primitive camping areas available to you sure has its merits... Even our Natl Forrest areas have generator run time restrictions here...

After doing this I may change my mind using this method but for me this is the best for sure method of always starting my day/night run off the batteries with at least the 90% charge state. I will be drawing in the mid 20's amps from 6PM to 11PM with my planned power draw.

Keep us informed on how thing go with your initial solar runs...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. Thanks for sharing.