Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 120V power

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
I blew a fuse (or something) when running the microwave and fireplace. (forgot fireplace was on) ooops.

No outlets are no longer working, microwave or fireplace.

I started the generator and 120V still doesn't work or microwave or fireplace still.

I thought at least the generator was suppose to act like shore power and give me 120V.

I checked breakers and fuses and seems like power is still at pole.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
We look forward to meeting other like-minded people. We would love to travel and work from our RV. Hoping to make this happen one day.

Our Rig:
2011 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
2012 5Th Wheel Alpine 3600RS
11 REPLIES 11

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My ONAN has a typical breaker that you flip up and down.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
PaulB46 wrote:
I still have the problem that the generator didn't supply power to everything but I guess it's a fuse between the generator and control panel

There are no fuses between the generator and breaker panel. Generators go through one side of the transfer switch, the shore power goes through the other side. Your transfer switch can be bad even though you get power through it for shore power

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Do Onans still use the Cheap *** pushbutton reset type breakers? I've changed lots that to the touch felt good but were open circuit.

The Onan 7KW in our previous 1995 coach and the Onan 5.5KW in our current 2001 coach both have conventional toggle handle type breakers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Do Onans still use the Cheap *** pushbutton reset type breakers? I've changed lots that to the touch felt good but were open circuit.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a circuit breaker on the generator itself. There isn't usually another fuse or circuit breaker between it and the automatic transfer switch (if you have one). If you don't have a transfer switch, Bobbo's instructions are absolutely right on; you are the transfer switch.

Assuming this is a typical Onan that is installed (and I think other makes are usually similar), you need to open the compartment on the RV and then remove the access panel on the generator itself to get to it. There's generally a start/stop switch there, like the remote one, and maybe a 12V fuse for the generator control circuitry, and the output circuit breaker.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the generator still won't power things, look in the electrical compartment where your power cord lives. If there is an outlet in there, you have to plug your power cord into it before the generator will power the RV. The generator only powers that outlet.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I still have the problem that the generator didn't supply power to everything but I guess it's a fuse between the generator and control panel.

Something I'll check out during daylight and not at midnight when it's soooo cold out. ๐Ÿ˜ž

At least now I have power! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again,
Paul
We look forward to meeting other like-minded people. We would love to travel and work from our RV. Hoping to make this happen one day.

Our Rig:

PaulnAnn
Explorer
Explorer
I guess when the generator is on, it takes precedent over the shore line power.

I ended up shutting off the generator and the 120V outlets, Fireplace and Microwave came on.

Thanks for the feedback!

Our Rig:

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the generator for a popped circuit breaker as well and reset as needed.

More than likely, the fireplace and the microwave are on different circuits in the RV (at least I hope they put them on different circuits), so likely the choke point, so to speak, would be the generator's output breakerโ€”almost certainly so if you have a 50A RV.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check the breakers on your panel again. Don't just look at them, flip off and on, sometimes they will trip and the lever not appear to move.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an inverter? If so, check the breakers on it.