cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold not cooling

Firehawvvk
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Norcold N611V refr. It seems OK as the light comes on green with 120V hookup. But it will not cool (Frzr or Refr.). I unplugged the electric and I heard the piezo lighter and propane start. The freezer got cold but that was all.
I'm planning on leaving for AK in a few hours. Can anybody troubleshoot this for me?
Bob and Shelley
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Coachman Catalina 253RKS
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Almot wrote:
...Also, try moving the temperature sensor up - on the fridge fins inside. Or is it down, not up, don't remember :). Anyway, position of sensor affects how cold is each of your 1-2-3 settings.

Sorry, moving the Thermister(sensor) up or down will not affect the cooling capability of a refer with a adjustable Tstat control. That type adjustment is for AUTO cool tstats and Dometic is the only refer that offers Auto temp control. Moving the sensor on these models only changes the interior temp about 3 to 5 degrees. And NO Thermister temp adjustment will affect the Freezer temp. It will get below 10 degrees regardless of the Lower temp control system. People state the freeze is working but there is a BIG swing from 32 degrees to 10 degrees and lower. Doug

Joe_Way
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
...Also, try moving the temperature sensor up - on the fridge fins inside. Or is it down, not up, don't remember :). Anyway, position of sensor affects how cold is each of your 1-2-3 settings.

Move sensor down to make fridge warmer, up to make fridge cooler. It is also possible to fine-tune by moving sensor left and right. See this link for a discussion of sensor placement.

Joe

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Firehawvvk wrote:
I have a Norcold N611V refr. It seems OK as the light comes on green with 120V hookup. But it will not cool (Frzr or Refr.). I unplugged the electric and I heard the piezo lighter and propane start. The freezer got cold but that was all.
I'm planning on leaving for AK in a few hours. Can anybody troubleshoot this for me?
How long has the fridge been on? You need to allow 24 hours before you conclude it's not working.
On the other hand they aren't referred to as "Nocolds" for nothing!
If there is any yellow powdery deposit around the cooling system in the back, or you can smell ammonia, then you are looking at an expensive repair/replacement.
Although, with the age of your unit it SHOULD be under warranty if it is defective.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge will take some time to cool the reefer section. How long did you run it?
If you have to leave immediately and need refrigeration, I'd suggest to either have a cooler with block ice or even buy a small 120V fridge. The latter can be used when you have 120 V shore power or, if you have an inverter, off batteries.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton