cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd 7 pin wiring harness

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all - this isn't actually RV related, but it is trailer related. I purchased a flatbed from a co-worker over the weekend and I had to re-wire the 7 blade connector since it had been driven over (or something). I was able to get things working, but I wanted to run this by anyone who would know.

I have the following wires;

Yellow - Left Turn
Red - Trailer Brake
Black - Ground???
Blue - ???
Green - Right Turn
Brown - Tail/running lights

There are two things that are strange right out of the gate. First, no white/ground wire. I have black wired into ground right now, and while I dont think it would be anything else, I haven't yet verified that (ie, remove it, and see if everything fails). The other is that the trailer brake is on red...when everything says it should be on blue. The brakes indeed work, and it's recognized by the controller...but very strange. Right now, I have the blue wire not connected to anything, but I believe its the aux/charging circuit for the breakaway battery. Still need to verify that too.

That said, is there any sort of "other standard" out there that would explain, or at least validate what I've found so far?
18 REPLIES 18

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 1999, and anything is possible that it was re-wired. However, based on the discussion with the owner it was rarely used, so while certainly possible - it seems unlikely.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Blue is supposed to be the backup light circuit.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
How old is it? From having trailers for 20+ years and my own experience I would guess that it's been rewired at some point. How old is it?