cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options for directv satalites

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for a portable satellite receiver that can get directv and is portable. I want portable so I can use it on my fish house in the winter. Is there a unit that would also give me direc-tv in HD?
11 REPLIES 11

dedmiston
2oldman wrote:
He's gone

Does someone pay you a dollar every time you post that, because you post it in almost every thread?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Winegard is not the only option - there's also RF Mogul...

Which is even more expensive but also awesome.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
OK, let's get real here folks!
If you want DirecTV and HD then the only kind of antenna that you can use is the same kind of antenna mounted on your house. There are no portable automatic antennas (unless you consider a permanently roof mounted antenna portable) that will give you DirecTV HD. No Domes!
It takes a bit of practice but you can get a home style open face antenna mounted on a tripod, run some coax to the RV and point the antenna yourself at each new location. This is your ONLY non-roof mounted option. The roof mounted option is a Winegard Trav'ler and is pretty expensive (but AWESOME)!

I have been using a tripod mounted Slimline dish for over 10 years. It takes longer to get it out of the basement than it does to aim it (lots of practice over 10 years) and I don't have any kind of meter. I use the signal strength meter built in to the DirecTV receiver and a wireless baby monitor to see what is going on out at the dish. Easy, fast, and not expensive. Besides, my daughter gave me her old baby monitor and all I had to do was buy a new battery for the remote.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's gone
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard is not the only option - there's also RF Mogul...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, let's get real here folks!
If you want DirecTV and HD then the only kind of antenna that you can use is the same kind of antenna mounted on your house. There are no portable automatic antennas (unless you consider a permanently roof mounted antenna portable) that will give you DirecTV HD. No Domes!
It takes a bit of practice but you can get a home style open face antenna mounted on a tripod, run some coax to the RV and point the antenna yourself at each new location. This is your ONLY non-roof mounted option. The roof mounted option is a Winegard Trav'ler and is pretty expensive (but AWESOME)!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your terminology might be ambiguous.
The receiver is the box inside your domicile that connects to your tv.

The antenna or sar dish is the device that receives the signal from space.
These can be on a tripod and use the one lint at your house. Those can be DISH or Directv and get HD channels.

If you want a auto seek carry out dome that gets HD , there are none for Directv.

For DISH you can get a carryout auto dome that gets HD. I use a Winegard Pathway X2. Gets Eastern or western arc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a portable satellite dish and two receivers in my fifth wheel for many years. The only issue is turning it in to the satellite which gets easier the more you do it.
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
There are no portable automatic dishes that receive DirecTV HD signals. None...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
All receivers are portable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Receiver H-24 from Solid Signal, and a carry out portable automatic dome. Non HD...