Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parallel Yamaha generators can't run the AC now

SATX_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
New user here.

I have a TT with a 15k btu AC unit that function perfectly on shore power. Last year we bought a couple of Yamaha ef2000is generators and the parallel kit for boondocking, which we used a couple of times last year with no issue.

I'm getting ready for a trip next weekend and decided to pull out the generators and make sure everything was operational. The gennies cranked up with some fresh gas and ran just fine, powering lights, outlets, etc in the trailer. I turned off everything in the trailer and tried to turn on the AC and got nothing. Went to check on the generators and one of them had the overload light on.

I've tried several troubleshooting steps:
- with and w/o the Surgeguard
- checked all the fuses/breakers
- turned off breakers for everything but the main and AC

Anyway, I can't get the AC to run with the generators, but I know it is operational. Has anyone ever had this issue? Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Anthony
24 REPLIES 24

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If gou want -try- and find out what went wrong.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
SATX_Camper wrote:
Well, I took some advice I got from you lot and tested the generators individually. It turns out that one of the generators wasn't producing any electricity. Well ****.

It didn't cross my mind to do this initially because they were bought in June 2014 and only have about 45-50 hours on them. On the bright side, there is a three year warranty on the generators and this should be covered. On the down side, I need another generator for this weekend.

Off to see what the Google machine can find for me.

Thanks for all the advice. It is much appreciated. Cheers!

Glad to hear you found a problem, rather than it continuing to be a mystery. Hopefully it's nothing major and the warranty repair will have it fixed up quickly.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
gatorcq wrote:
Bring earplugs for the Harbor Freight generators

Have you heard their new "quiet" inverter generator? It's no honda but it's certainly far and away better than one of their clanky open framers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Bring ear plugs for any generator.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Bring earplugs for the Harbor Freight generators
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Just curious ๐Ÿ˜‰ - in your original post you mentioned using a "Surgeguard" ... my question - is it really a TRC Surge Guard and if so which model, if not what exactly do you have? :@

SATX_Camper wrote:
Yes, it is a TRC Surge Guard. I have the 34830 seen here http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-with-lcd-display-30-amp/81277

Why do you ask?

Since you own a TRC and not a Progressive Industries surge protector you may not be aware that PI has done some extensive testing and found the Yamaha EF2000iS genset capable under some circumstances of generating a waveform destructive to the Progressive EMS units and will deny warranty coverage for any of their EMS units used with this particular generator.

Progressive Industries / Yamaha EF2000iS Warranty Disclaimer

Since surge protector circuit design between TRC and Progressive products is likely similar I'm wondering if a TRC might also be subject to damage if used with the EF2000iS. :@ If so, that then raises the question as to whether the reverse could then be possible - i.e. whether a surge protector that has failed because it was being fed a non-sinusoidal waveform by this particular Yamaha generator could in turn damage the generator. :E I'm not saying that is definitively what has happened in your case but it does make one wonder considering Progressive's concerns about the Yamaha EF2000iS. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SATX_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Just curious ๐Ÿ˜‰ - in your original post you mentioned using a "Surgeguard" ... my question - is it really a TRC Surge Guard and if so which model, if not what exactly do you have? :@

Yes, it is a TRC Surge Guard. I have the 34830 seen here http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-with-lcd-display-30-amp/81277

Why do you ask?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SATX_Camper wrote:
Well, I took some advice I got from you lot and tested the generators individually. It turns out that one of the generators wasn't producing any electricity. Well ****.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SATX_Camper
Explorer
Explorer

It didn't cross my mind to do this initially because they were bought in June 2014 and only have about 45-50 hours on them. On the bright side, there is a three year warranty on the generators and this should be covered. On the down side, I need another generator for this weekend.

Off to see what the Google machine can find for me.

Thanks for all the advice. It is much appreciated. Cheers!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
wld1985 wrote:
I've been reading up on doing this, it seems Harbour freight has the best price and wattage for doing this conversion. Then with there warranty ya can't beat it, 449.00 a piece and if ya drop it off the back of the truck and smash it into pieces ya get anew one

Doing what? What conversion?

Is there some secret way to parallel Harbor Freight inverter generators? I've been doing some online google-ing, and everything I've found says that it's not possible, there is no frequency matching capability on the HF inverter gennys.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
SATX_Camper wrote:
Good idea Gordon. I'll give that a try in a bit. I'm sitting on the roof of the rv now trying to check the capacitors. I'm figuring it out as I go.
Any doubt about the cap, I'd just replace it. Good peace of mind. These caps are relatively inexpensive. FWIW, they may be cheaper at your local electronics parts store vs. the RV dealer.

SATX_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea Gordon. I'll give that a try in a bit. I'm sitting on the roof of the rv now trying to check the capacitors. I'm figuring it out as I go.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Anthony,

Have you run some seafoam or other carb cleaner through your Yamaha lately? Since only one went into overload, that shows it wasn't able to accept the load as fast as its twin. Could be it's having a fuel problem under wide-open throttle.

Get yourself an electric heater or hot water pot (something rated for 13 amps / 1500 watts) and see how each generator handles the load separately. if one starts coughing under WOT, time for some carb cleaner.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Check your batteries. I had one with a dead cell and my Honda wouldn't run my microwave. The converter was trying to charge the battery pulling lots of amps.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel